You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-22 20:07:14

toni

USB devices get disconnected after upgrading kernel

Hi,
I have an external hdd where I have installed arch. This external hdd is connected to my laptop through USB 3. I have observed that after upgrading my kernel to 3.13.4-1-ARCH, the external hdd that is plugged in to usb3 is sometimes disconnected. I have plugged in the external hdd drive to another usb and the same problem appears. Before upgrading the kernel, the external hdd drive through usb3 was working perfectly. Is somebody observing this behaviour after upgrading kernel? or I am the only one with this problem?

Any ideas?

UPDATE:

Possible cause:

Bad usb cable. It seems usb 3 cable has stopped working just after upgrading the kernel. What a coincidence!!!! I am using another usb 3 cable and for now it seems to work (external usb hdd does not get disconnected). I am checking it right now. If it continues working I will mark this post as solved. Thanks to all for your suggestions. Great arch community, very quickly suggestions. Thanks a lot again!

Last edited by toni (2014-02-22 21:20:57)

#2 2014-02-22 20:12:35

karol
Archivist

Re: USB devices get disconnected after upgrading kernel

Did you reboot after updating the kernel?

#3 2014-02-22 20:13:12

mojangsta

Read your dmesg log.

> dmesg | tail -n $LINES

#4 2014-02-22 20:44:29

falconindy
Developer
Website

If you can't agree to a reboot when you upgrade the kernel, then don't upgrade the kernel.

#5 2014-02-23 14:22:05

toni

toni wrote:

Hi,
I have an external hdd where I have installed arch. This external hdd is connected to my laptop through USB 3. I have observed that after upgrading my kernel to 3.13.4-1-ARCH, the external hdd that is plugged in to usb3 is sometimes disconnected. I have plugged in the external hdd drive to another usb and the same problem appears. Before upgrading the kernel, the external hdd drive through usb3 was working perfectly. Is somebody observing this behaviour after upgrading kernel? or I am the only one with this problem?

Any ideas?

UPDATE:

Possible cause:

Bad usb cable. It seems usb 3 cable has stopped working just after upgrading the kernel. What a coincidence!!!! I am using another usb 3 cable and for now it seems to work (external usb hdd does not get disconnected). I am checking it right now. If it continues working I will mark this post as solved. Thanks to all for your suggestions. Great arch community, very quickly suggestions. Thanks a lot again!

UPDATE 2:
External hdd usb device is not disconnected but when booting sometimes I get below message: "Cannot enumerate usb device on port 2". Why?

Board footer