You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-26 07:02:14

ShadowKyogre
Website

Ninit Boot Preparation Automation and Systemd Unit File Converter

I figured I should try to learn more about init systems and started looking at ninit (AUR entry). Now, I know there's other init systems like ignite, runit, OpenRC, etc., but I haven't gotten around to trying those yet. Furthermore, I also looked at ninit's little brother minit and really liked it, but it didn't have all of the features I was looking for before starting to experiment.

So during my experiments in my virtual machine (I discovered that my classes were not as fast paced as I thought they would be, except for the labs), I decided that I should write up a basic boot-up, some sample daemons, and a script to convert systemd units to other services for other files. Both still largely in the works, but the boot prep stuff DOES work. A few other things were taken into consideration, such as not having to copy one's /etc/modules-load.d/'s contents into some other file because the stuff at the end of the udev prep stage will read those in and killing off all the daemons configured in daemons/depends before bringing down the system (note: I haven't checked to see if it's intelligent to try backtracking the dependencies of those stopped daemons to make sure any daemons brought in with deps are down).

I don't think I've got the clock-related preparation set up right just yet or some of the other boot stages that I haven't considered (eg: raids, volume groups, etc), but other than that, it should be usable. If anyone wants to do further testing with the unit converter script or the ninit stuff, do let me know. The unit converter script only converts Service files for now, and some of the additional details about services files haven't been considered yet. I do plan on expanding the unit file converter to other init systems once I get the nitpicks with ninit sorted out so people who want to move away from systemd have plenty of choices with less typing.

For an example of what you'd get (sans the Compiz 0.9.X testing stuff) with this setup, here's what the nsvc -L command'll put out: qQ8R9H7s.png

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2014-02-26 07:03:02)

For every problem, there is a solution that is:
Clean
Simple and most of all...wrong!
Github page

Board footer