You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-01 13:14:11

doblerone

System frozen trying to setup a 2nd screen

I'm using the open source drivers (xf86-video-ati) with my graphic card in a KDE desktop. This is my graphic card, which has 3 differents outputs:

[david@archdavid ~]$ lspci | grep VGA
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV740 PRO [Radeon HD 4770]

In the wiki, it is said that the open source drivers have better dual-head support.

My problem is that when I connect the second monitor once the system is running, the system recognizes the monitor asking me to open the system preferences to set up the new monitor. Until here, everything is fine.
Once I choose the main output as the HDMI output with the DVI on the "left", if I apply this setup my system freezes completely. The crazy thing is that sometimes, it accepts the DVI output on the "right". Once the second monitor is setup, I can use the computer but when I try to shut it down, it freezes with this on the screen:

watchdog did not stop!

I also tried with the same result, system frozen, this command from a console:

xrandr --output HDMI-0 --auto --primary --output DVI-0 --auto --left-of DVI-0

I also tried to connect before starting my computer to connect both screens. In this case, my system doesn't boot. It freezes after loading the grub.

What else can I try to setup my second screen???

Thanks for your suggestions

Last edited by doblerone (2014-03-01 18:19:32)

#2 2014-03-03 22:05:23

karkhaz

Re: System frozen trying to setup a 2nd screen

doblerone wrote:
xrandr --output HDMI-0 --auto --primary --output DVI-0 --auto --left-of DVI-0

Your use of the --left-of switch is incorrect. You probably mean

--output DVI-0 --left-of HDMI-0

An output cannot be left of itself...

Edit: could you post the kernel parameters that you pass to GRUB? I'm wondering if you have kernel modesetting enabled.

Last edited by karkhaz (2014-03-03 22:11:47)

Board footer