You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-03 20:44:44

frazer

[SOLVED] UEFI boot configuration using efibootmgr

Hello All,

I've been having a very frustrating time with efibootmgr on my HP Laptop.

I've been searching around for some information regarding the OS Bootmanager in UEFI boot and cannot find anything that works for me.

I'm trying to get efibootmgr to load the boot entries in the order that I specify, but, although it lists exactly what I want in the terminal, when it comes to a reboot, the OS Bootmanager is failing and writing new entries every boot and I cannot fathom why.

Please could someone point me in the direction of a good guide to UEFI boot/OS Bootmanager and it's configuration using efibootmgr?  I have read info found in the Archwiki, but was hoping for something focussing on efibootmgr alone as a configuration tool.

Many thanks for your help,

Frazer

Last edited by frazer (2014-03-10 22:21:14)

#2 2014-03-03 20:48:55

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] UEFI boot configuration using efibootmgr

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-03-03 22:10:22

KairiTech

frazer wrote:

I'm trying to get efibootmgr to load the boot entries in the order that I specify, but, although it lists exactly what I want in the terminal, when it comes to a reboot, the OS Bootmanager is failing and writing new entries every boot and I cannot fathom why.

That's likely not efibootmgr but rather HP's implementation the UEFI "standard" and I use the word 'standard' loosely since every manufacturer has their own idiosyncratic way of interpreting that standard and the only way to change it is to flash the BIOS with code provide by said manufactured which locks you into those idiosyncrasies.

The entries that are being added are likely FAT format partitions that you have on your system. My ASUS mobo does something similar but I've learned to live with it and I use the STUB kernel without a bootloader.

#4 2014-03-04 23:03:09

srs5694
Website

It's likely that the firmware (or maybe Windows, if you're booting into Windows between boots and haven't mentioned that fact) is changing the boot order. Unfortunately, some EFIs do that, or worse.

I recommend you start by upgrading your firmware. (In some cases, this will wipe out all your boot entries, so be prepared.) If the problem continues, either file a bug report with the manufacturer or return the hardware for a refund and buy something else. The manufacturers have had a long enough time to work out such major problems with their firmware, and returning defective hardware is really the only thing we as consumers can do that will get the manufacturers' attention.

If you must keep the hardware and a firmware update doesn't help, you may just need to find a workaround. If you need advice on doing that, you'll need to provide more details about what your setup is -- in particular, what you want the boot manager's boot list to look like (as in "efibootmgr -v" output once it's configured) and how the firmware is reshaping that when you reboot.

#5 2014-03-09 07:05:40

Debasish Patra

Gummiboot does a pretty job for me. Try that. I never had a problem.

Keep Calm, And Enjoy Life smile

#6 2014-03-10 22:17:09

frazer

Thank you all.

I have tried utilising efibootmgr again and again (as said) with no joy.  The annoying part was that I had previously achieved a secure boot enabled linux install - so I knew that it could be done.

Thank you KairiTech, your comment reminded me that I had flashed the BIOS before my previous success - with the HP 2252sa g6 Pavilion however, you need to do this from Windows....  I mean really HP - come on.

So - quick Win 7 build - BIOS flash - change BIOS settings to Secure Boot with no legacy support and installed Linux without a hitch.  Nice fast boot now also.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Why oh why hasn't some standard come into effect for UEFI???

Last edited by frazer (2014-03-10 22:18:12)

Board footer