You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-09 10:30:28

Komodo

Several console-oriented Qs

I'll just list them wink

· Alt-d doesn't work in xterm as a shortcut to deleting consecutive non-whitespace characters; is there any way of making it work? Ctrl-d still works for individual characters...
· I'm no longer able to switch to TTYs with Ctrl-Alt-F[1-9]; any idea why not?
· Phrakture recently pointed me in the direction of a patch for Screen that allows horizontal splitting as well as vertical; the files are .diff.bz2 , and when I download them, they save as .bin files. My question is: will I have to compile Screen myself and patch it in the process? If so, how do I apply them?

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#2 2006-01-09 11:08:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Several console-oriented Qs

1. No idea.
2. Tell us what you've changed recently - I lost this facility during my xorg7 upgrade, but a tweak of XkbRules in xorg.conf fixed it.
3. If the files are .diff.bz2, you should bunzip2 them, and then they should be .diff - .bin shouldn't come into it at all. And yes, you need to get the screen PKGBUILD, put the patch in source array, and a patch command in the build function.

Let me know if you need more specifics.

#3 2006-01-09 15:06:50

Komodo

tomk wrote:

2. Tell us what you've changed recently - I lost this facility during my xorg7 upgrade, but a tweak of XkbRules in xorg.conf fixed it.

It must've been xorg7 for me too, I think; what did you alter?

tomk wrote:

3. If the files are .diff.bz2, you should bunzip2 them, and then they should be .diff - .bin shouldn't come into it at all. And yes, you need to get the screen PKGBUILD, put the patch in source array, and a patch command in the build function.

kk, cheers for the info tomk, I guessed it was just a case of adding them to the PKGBUILD. I dunno why ffox saved 'em as .bins tbh; i think it was a weird way of linking to them by the guy who put them up.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#4 2006-01-09 16:04:50

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

1) is probably a term setting or inputrc problem. I recall having trouble with using alt with any shortcuts. Check man readline.

Dusty

#5 2006-01-09 16:10:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Komodo wrote:

Alt-d doesn't work in xterm as a shortcut to deleting consecutive non-whitespace characters; is there any way of making it work? Ctrl-d still works for individual characters...

Firstly, try <Esc>d and see if that does anything.  The Alt key is a bit of a confusing one, as it turns one character into <Esc> and the character.  For certain apps (*shakes fist at mc*) I cannot Alt+blah over ssh/screen, so am forced to use the Esc trick.
You may want to check the xterm .Xdefaults settings - there should be something like "use 8bit keys" or "use 8th bit for meta" or something like that - try turning that on and see if alt then works.

Komodo wrote:

Phrakture recently pointed me in the direction of a patch for Screen that allows horizontal splitting as well as vertical; the files are .diff.bz2 , and when I download them, they save as .bin files. My question is: will I have to compile Screen myself and patch it in the process? If so, how do I apply them?

Your best bet would be to use the existing screen PKGBUILD, and add the patch into the source=() array.  makepkg detects extensions and un-archives files properly.  You'll be left with (2?) .diff files.  In which case, the beginning of the build script would need to be changed to something like:

cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/
patch -p0 -i ../mypatch-foo-0.1.2-diff
# another patch?
make
#.... the rest

The important part to note here is the "-p0" part.  The -p flag, to patch, strips leading directory components.  You'll have to check the paths specified in the diff and see what you need to strip to make things match up with the path you are at when you patch it.
For instance, if at that time all the source is in src/ and the patch contains

++++ screen-1.2.3/src/file_one.c
---- screen-old/src/file_one.c

using -p1 works nicely as it strips the screen-1.2.3 / screen-old junk.

#6 2006-01-09 16:52:19

Komodo

Thanks for the info Dusty, and cheers for the very comprehensive reply phrakture; it's nice when people explain things sufficiently well that you understand the solution big_smile

I still haven't managed to resolve the xterm issue... I suspect the offending lines in my Xdefaults are one or more of

xterm*utf8:             1
xterm*eightBitInput:    false
xterm*metaSendsEscape:  true

...but I've tried different combos of them, as well as removing them all, and nothing works. I guess the problem must be elsewhere then (?) since you've got those same lines in your Xdefaults phrakture. The only other modifiers in Xdefaults that affect xterm are related to aesthetics.

Any other ideas? It's not the end of the world, since I use urxvt anyway, but it's annoying to have obstacles in your way when seeking the perfect linux installation  wink

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#7 2006-01-09 17:36:27

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

does the Esc trick work?

#8 2006-01-09 19:00:19

tomk
Forum Fellow

Komodo wrote:

It must've been xorg7 for me too, I think; what did you alter?

In the Input Device section for the keyboard, I changed

Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"

to

Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"

#9 2006-01-09 19:44:07

Komodo

phrakture wrote:

does the Esc trick work?

Sorry phrak, I should've mentioned that - yes, you were right, Esc does work.

@tomk: thanks for the info, that's great.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#10 2006-01-11 12:01:16

Komodo

· Sadly, despite following tomk's advice, I still can't switch to TTYs from X; this is VERY frustrating, and I'm desperate to resolve the problem.

· MMB won't paste into urxvt, yet WILL paste when screen's running in urxvt... this is also rather irritating.

· Alt-d still doesn't work in xterm.

Has anyone got any suggestions for how to fix any of these issues?

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

Board footer