You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-06 07:56:23

Ventil1

Mic boost issues with skype [Partly solved]

Hi. I have a problem with skype. Whenever I start a call mic boost jumps to 100% in alsamixer. If I manualy push it back to like 20% it stays there until I start speaking again. This is very frustrationg because I hear my own voice more then the other person and it also makes this loud humming sound. I would like to fix this but got no clue where to start. Can anyone help me?

Last edited by Ventil1 (2014-03-06 08:04:26)

#2 2014-03-06 08:04:12

Ventil1

Re: Mic boost issues with skype [Partly solved]

Ok. I figured it out. Under skype settings->sound devices there is a checkbox for "Allow skype to automatically adjust my mixer leves". I just unchecked that and the mixc boost is not jumping anymore.

But the other issue still exist. There is still that anoying humming sound. And if mic boost is not on 50% the other person can't hear me well. My mic level is always on 100%.

#3 2014-03-10 03:01:25

emeres

Re: Mic boost issues with skype [Partly solved]

Try disabling any software gain. If the hum still remains, check your hardware side, disable any [microphone] gain. If it still does not help, there are several possible sources of humming:

• internal interference (miserable layout of components: hdd/fan/cd drive near sound card),

• external interference (power cable near microphone cable),

• mechanical issues (cables, connectors, sockets, contacts),

• low quality power net, psu, capacitors used,

• high power/"noisy" receiver in same power socket/circuit/nearby,

• low quality sound card codec/dsp,

• hardware malfunction/failure,

• other.

Always check the whole signal paths (hardware and software) (check another microphone or use that one with another device). You could se Line-in instead. And when the hum is gone and your signal is too silent, you could use a software amplifier. For something fancy use ladspa. You could as last resort use a parametric eq (or something similar) in ladspa to filter the hum out.

Board footer