You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-06 10:17:07

kaipee

Any way to uninstall/disable speech-dispatcher?

For a while now I have had occassional sound issues whereby the speakers would 'pop' loudly, or introduce a small amount of distortion for a few seconds. This really only happened in Chromium on some page.
Since a recent update (not sure what/when) I have notice 'speech-dispatcher' appear in my volume tray (Gnome Shell). But this only appears alongside the pop/distortion.

I know speech-dispatcher is a dependency of chromium - but I have absolutely no use for it.
Is there any way to safely disable/uninstall speech-dispatcher and keep chromium operating?

#2 2014-03-06 11:02:31

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Any way to uninstall/disable speech-dispatcher?

The cleanest way would be to build chromium without speech-dispatcher support.

#3 2014-03-07 19:26:59

kaipee

OK so it's definitely speech-dispatcher that's causing the issues. It happens on my laptop, desktop and work desktop.
On the work desktop it started to cause an issue whereby  the distortion would be about 2 seconds behind the normal audio....like a distorted echo. Even notification sounds would "ding" ..1...2 "fizzzzzz"

I'm thinking there is a problem with speech-dispatcher package?

#4 2014-03-07 20:17:17

Max-P

Given speech-dispatcher haven't been updated since 2013, the problem is much more likely to just be Chromium spawning it improperly without freeing it when done.

I noticed I had about 6 speech-dispatcher entries in pavucontrol yesterday, seems to have appeared shortly after a Chromium update. It will probably be fixed in the next Chromium release I guess.

#5 2014-03-07 21:27:29

kaipee

Max-P wrote:

Given speech-dispatcher haven't been updated since 2013, the problem is much more likely to just be Chromium spawning it improperly without freeing it when done.

I noticed I had about 6 speech-dispatcher entries in pavucontrol yesterday, seems to have appeared shortly after a Chromium update. It will probably be fixed in the next Chromium release I guess.

You could be right. It really only happened after an update of some sort - speech-dispatcher (multiple instances, usually 4) started appearing in my volume control.
Lucky, killing speech-dispatcher seems to fix the distortion/popping

#6 2014-03-16 21:29:07

Xenphor

I have the same problem, even though it seems chromium was updated.

#7 2017-04-23 17:22:59

Hudsonkem

i had this problem too, I solved. just uncomment "DisableAutoSpawn" in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf, its at the end of file.

Last edited by Hudsonkem (2017-04-23 17:23:55)

#8 2017-04-23 17:35:00

ewaller
Administrator

Hudsonkem, Welcome to the Arch Linux forums.  Your post is relevant, thank you.  Never the less, I will go ahead and use this opportunity to close this old thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer