You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-09 19:46:55

stratotak

freepats

hey..from my experience intrying to get midi up and running under  Debian..i think i might have a few answers..firts..there are basically 2 ways to play midi files..one if you have a card like a soundblaster series..Audigy2 ..etc.midi hardware is built intio card...others like me whos sound card dosent have midi hardware buitl on to it will need help of software to do it..if you were running Windows and you went into the sound properies  area and looked at the device to handle midi you would either see something related to your card or if your card didnt have midi..you would see  microsoft wav mapper..under linux if your card dosent have midi built in you would use Timidity..but you will aso need sound fonts to play...i used timifity and freepats to get midi enabled under Debian..so try installing timidity and freepats...then go into  /etc/defualt/..there should be a fie for timidity..you can uncomment it so that timidity starts at boot...under Debian when you installed timidity and freepats..it was already set up in timidity config file to use freepats..all you would have to do is open kmid and under midi device choose a timidy port.. and i use the gm map device..and  sound should appear...

#2 2006-01-09 20:43:38

stratotak

Re: freepats

i just set up midi under Arch and found out its not setup like Debian..so pretty much what i said about setting it up under debian dosent apply to Arch..there is no timidity file under /etc/default.,,and the timidty config file is quite different then the one under Debian..so..anyone know how i get Arch to start the timidity server on boot so that i dont have to type in timidity -iA  in console every time i start pc....

#3 2006-01-10 20:02:08

sh__

Re: freepats

If you want to start the timidity alsa server on boot, just add 'timidity' in the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf, the latest Arch pkg (timidity++ 2.13.2-3) has a script for that. You probably want to install also a soundfont like unison.

Board footer