You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-07 05:29:59

milessummers

Scribus 1.4.3 spell checker not there

I am running stock arch scribus 1.4.3 and in File->Prefs I have several English dictionaries available and installed.  When I create a text frame and add text there is no option to spell check under the Item menu.  In File->Prefs->Plugins no spell checking plugin is showing.

Am I missing something?

#2 2014-03-07 14:45:04

PaulStogov

Re: Scribus 1.4.3 spell checker not there

As soon as Scribus 1.4 switched for hunspell from aspell, spellchecker moved to "Item" menu.

According to Scribus Help:

Spellchecking works on a frame basis, so just as with hyphenation, you have to select a text frame before you can let Scribus look for errors. With a text frame selected, click Item > Check Spelling. One major difference between the hyphenator and the spellchecker is that you cannot set a default language. Scribus will use the system setting instead. If you want to use another language, you have to create a new character style. As you can see below, there is a language selector in the spellchecking dialog, but it will only work for the currently indicated word and then jump back to the language of your character style. The rest should be self-explanatory.

and even

If you have dictionaries for more than one language installed, or more than one dictionary for a single language, the spellchecker may not work correctly or not at all. For example, if your character style uses “English” as the language setting, using the dictionary “en_US” (US-American English) won’t work, as “English” is being mapped to “en_GB”. Likewise, “German” will be mapped to “de_DE”. This cannot be fixed in the 1.4.x series because it would break backward compatibility with Scribus files created with prior 1.4.x versions. The file format of the next Scribus version will handle this correctly. As a workaround you can either install the working version (e.g. en_GB or de_DE) or to remove or temporarily disable (=rename) other dictionaries.

But me personally still have no luck with spellchecker - I just have no "Item -> Check Spelling" in menu sad

Asus N61J/ATi Radeon HD5730
Toshiba A200/ATi Radeon HD2600

#3 2014-03-09 07:30:05

milessummers

Re: Scribus 1.4.3 spell checker not there

Thanks - I guess I will wait until 1.6 is released and do spell checking in LibreOffice until then - a shame as most clients seem to wait until they have a fully laid out document to make text changes.

Board footer