You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-11 13:14:16

DrSpielgood

Logging into CLI from graphical login manager...possible?

Hey guys, this sounds like a backwards question, but hear me out.

I have two accounts on my computer.  One of which is my main account, where do graphical design, sound editing, web surfing, and various LibreOffice tasks.  This account, I want to boot straight into my standard Openbox account.

The other account, I'm planning to use solely for writing, and want to use it as a "no distractions, get stuff done," type account where I will just sit and write.  I plan on using wordgrinder for word processing on this account, since that's as "no distractions" as they come.  Thus, with my no distraction rule, I want to boot this account straight into commandline, and then from there, launch wordgrinder.  At the very worst, if I'm going to use another program with this account, it would be mutt.  However, I've already set up a GUI login manager.

Right now I'm using LXDM, and am wondering if there's a config I can write to have LXDM send me back out to the CLI after I login using this secondary account.  If this is not possible, I have considered using a tiling window manager to emulate the CLI, but really have never used any, so I don't know which would be able to provide the feel of pure CLI without much hassle.

So preferably, what options out of these are available for what I want to do?

1) Create a config file for LXDM that can send me out to CLI.
2) Uninstall LXDM and use a command line-based display manager. (If so, which one?)
3) Use a tiling window manager. (If so, which one?)
4) Ditch the display manager altogether and just use startx when I want to use Openbox.
5) Other (Please state)

#2 2014-03-11 13:26:29

loafer

Re: Logging into CLI from graphical login manager...possible?

Sorry if I've completely misunderstood but isn't Ctrl + Alt + F2 etc. an option?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2014-03-11 14:57:26

DrSpielgood

Re: Logging into CLI from graphical login manager...possible?

loafer wrote:

Sorry if I've completely misunderstood but isn't Ctrl + Alt + F2 etc. an option?

It is, and I may have to settle for it (TBH, I hadn't even thought of that, when I had used it before, so thanks for reminding me of that.)  However, having an out to go back into openbox anytime I want easily just by doing Ctrl+Alt+F1 may be an issue, but I guess every option I have has a flaw TBH.  So C+A+F2 may be the best one.  Thanks.

Board footer