You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-11 22:25:35

hotsauce

[SOLVED] Firefox 1.5 in KDE can't open downloads from

Hi there. I have searched a lot of forums and google for that one but haven't found a cure so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

When I download files they go, as usual, in my downloads folder and appear in firefox' download manager window. There i have options to remove it from the window or open it.  Removing obviously erases the entry from the window, but "open" doesn't do anything.  I would like to associate the open link to opening my documents with the appropriate application but I can't seem to find how to do it.

In the Downloads section of the option menu there is a possibility to "View & Edit Actions" but there is only possibility to remove or edit actions and not add a new one...

To be fair, it's not an arch-specific problem as I have had this same problem before moving here a few weeks ago (running 0.7.1 right now)

Thank you for your time

#2 2006-01-11 22:30:51

arooaroo
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox 1.5 in KDE can't open downloads from

I don't think this has ever worked for me. Didn't really bother me though so I've never pursued it. I'm pretty sure this is not an Arch-specific issue, so you may be best looking at general Firefox support pages instead - e.g., Bugzilla.

#3 2006-01-12 02:16:37

Ryochan7
Website

That is a Firefox specific problem. Firefox honors the preferences set in Nautilus/GNOME. Use Nautilus and setup the default applications to open various filetypes and Firefox will open the files from the download manager using those applications. It would be nice if Firefox would honor the settings used in KDE though.

#4 2006-01-12 03:36:36

hotsauce

Thank you Ryochan7, you were right on the money. I was wondering why all the posts I found in my search ended up talking about nautilus.  I just installed it with it's 10MB of dependancies (too bad for that...) and now all I can easily open any downloaded file straight from the firefox download manager.

Thanx for the info and time

Board footer