You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-12 22:00:12

lilsirecho
Veteran

cdrom audio permissions in udev through USB hub

Connection of the HDD via USB adapter through a USB 4-port hub , then to the computer USB connector does not permit hdparm to recognize the HDD.

Connection of the USB adapter directly to the computer USB connector permits hdparm to recognize the drive

Command hdparm -tT /dev/sdb produces correct output with the USB adapter connected to the computer USB connector.

What command should be used ,if any, when the USB 4 port hub is included in the interface?

The effects of the hub would then be determined.....

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2006-01-13 20:28:32

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: cdrom audio permissions in udev through USB hub

What error message do you get when you use the hub?

#3 2006-01-13 21:08:11

lilsirecho
Veteran

Tomk;

Gladaseeya!
Stranget things occuring on my latest upgrade!

Original report was correct in that the device was useable through the hub.

Hdparm -tT /dev/scd0 reported no such file or directory even though it was available.

When I read your post, I connected up the system with the hub and ran hdparm on the HDD connected through the hub.  It performed the parameter tests and gave results.

I then changed the device to another HDD on the same /dev/scd0.

I repeated the hdparm and received ..no such file or directory.. on the new drive.

I will now change back to the drive that performed correctly.

Performed the test again on the original drive that worked with hdparm but it now fails with ....no such file or directory.

The drive is ID'ed in kwik disc and media display.

Only once did it respond to hdparm via the USB hub. Clue?

Side note...see iphitus has archck1 update...waiting for an initrd PKGBUILD here.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2006-01-13 21:36:22

lilsirecho
Veteran

Tomk;

New info...

Removed hub from USB and removed power from hub(HDD disconnected from USB).

Reconnected USB to hub applied hub power.

Received media display ID for drive as sdd1 and sdd3 (linux partitiona on the drive).

Performed hdparm on sdd3 and received test data.

Previously this drive was ID'ed as sdb3.

I suspect I do not know the latest methodology for USB systems with kwik disk, fstab and media file.

I suspect the USB hub has to have a "reset" function....??

The sdd1 and sdd3 listings appeared "out of the blue" in kwik disc when I did the reset maneuver.

Fstab isn't in the picture?

#5 2006-01-13 23:46:16

tomk
Forum Fellow

That's a lot of info, and still it does not include the actual error message you got. Here's what I can tell you. I've just plugged my own USB HDD into my own USB 4 port hub three times in a row, and each time the disk came up as /dev/sda. The only reason it would come up as sdb, sdc, etc would be if some other USB storage device was plugged in first. hdparm worked fine on /dev/sda and /dev/sdaX, as long as I ran it as root, but that's normal.

fstab isn't involved here, because we're not mounting anything.

Try running
tail -f /var/log/everything.log
in a terminal, and watch the messages as you connect and disconnect your devices. That will tell you what dev name is being assigned.

I don't know anything about kwik disk - never heard of it before.

#6 2006-01-14 00:32:36

lilsirecho
Veteran

The actual error message I received was ...no such file or directory... as previously stated.

Kwik disc is a KDE device manager which displays all mountable devices and enables mounting and display in file manager of KDE.

The problem is related to the USB ID of the USB device which the system-media generates when the device is connected to the USB hub through the USB to IDE adapter which is part of my system.

I turn off my USB adapter, change the HDD, and turn on the adapter.  This initiates a system-media response to display the new media selected.  This is probably a KDE display function.

I suspect that the change in USB device ID occurs because I do not perform the "safely remove" function in the KDE media select window for the drive which was previously selected and therefore the new USB ID is required, the previous USB ID being in use.  Thus when calling in hdparm for the USB ID I expected, I get the error..no such file or directory....

The system provided is new to me and I learn more as I go along.  In KDE, both the system-media and Kwik disc have USB devices shown and control function capability.

When the media display shows a new item, kwik disc does the same thing in a tabular format allowing selection, mount, and display in file manager.

It seems that KDE may be my problem....

#7 2006-01-14 11:31:05

tomk
Forum Fellow

Well if it's KDE, I definitely can't help you. Here's one more suggestion, though - you could create some custom udev rules to give persistent names to each usb device - that's what I've done with mine. I therefore don't have to worry whether it's sda, sdb, etc - it always comes up as /dev/blaze, with partitions /dev/blaze1, /dev/blaze2, etc. That works both through the hub, and plugged directly into the laptop.

#8 2006-01-14 17:30:47

lilsirecho
Veteran

My setup is a bit different.

I have the hub connected to the comp USB.  The USB audio adapter is outputted from the hub.  In addition, a USB to IDE powered adapter is outputted.

The USB adapter feeds IDE output to an IDE cable with 5 devices connected.  Each of the 5 devices has power connected to them via "Y" cables modified to permit 5Volt line to be switched to select the IDE device to be powered "on".

I have 3 HDD and a cdr/w/dvdrom connected to the IDE cable.

The selection in the computer is established by fstab, using the same device:

/dev/sdc1 /mnt/dvd-ext udf  ro,users,noauto,unhide 0  0
/dev/scd1 /mnt/dvd-ext iso9660 rw,users,noauto,unhide 0  0
/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom-ext iso9660 rw,users,noauto,unhide 0  0
/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom-ext iso9660 ro,users,noauto,unhide 0  0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 ntfs defaults 0  0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 vfat defaults 0  0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb3 ext3 defaults 0  0

I have been able to burn a CD via K3b with this arrangement.

This setup allows only one device to run or none(with adapter power off).

I was having trouble with ID's which has been better organized now.

The USB adapter shares bandwidth with the USB audio.

The 12Volt line is connected to all devices on the IDE 5 device cable, and the 5v is selected by a switch.

In operation, turn off adapter power, select device, turn adapter power on. 

Computer recognizes the device...with the roms, insertion of a disc starts the computer recognition.

I apologize for my stumbling over this interface which was new since the new 2.6.15 upgrade.

I also have selectable HDD's in primary IDE with selection made before boot by single pin connector interface.  No bios call needed.

Thus, only one HDD running inside the case, less heat and power dissipation.  I expect I could install four or five on an 80 strand IDE cable, enabling booting on alternate OS'es without using dual booting ,( which if one makes a mistake loses  all partitions).   I do make mistakes!

Hope you can appreciate my arrangement which attempts to reduce power needs and lower case temps.  Not an automated selection process but a power saving setup.

Have to find a case for the devices, now!

Many thanks for your responses

big_smile

#9 2006-01-14 20:55:47

cs25x

make a udev rule for your drives, and create a link in which points to whatever drive is up. Your problem is most likely that the usb system is opening your drive on a new port each time you cycle the power. Then whatever was /dev/sda becomes /dev/sdb becomes /dev/sdc ... e.g. this is what I use for an external 3.5" enclosure

#DataLink external USB 2.0 3.5" HD enclosure

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{product}=="USB2.0 Storage Device",   SYSFS{idProduct}=="6830", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b4",  
KENEL=="sd?", NAME="%k", MODE="0666", symlink+="zdrive" 

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{product}=="USB2.0 Storage Device",   SYSFS{idProduct}=="6830", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b4",  
KENEL=="sd?[1-9]", NAME="%k", MODE="0666", symlink+="zdrive%n" 

That creates /dev/zdrive1 ... 9, which is independant of whether it comes up as sda,b,c ... The %n bit is because I have several partitions on drives that are being used. I had to copy that by hand, sorry if I have made a mistake along the way, but I double checked & it looks correct.  The product and vendor info match whatever hardware you are using. Then in your case, you run hdparm on whatever name you give your symlink. It is not necessary to reboot your computer after you add that rule. /etc/udev is where you begin.

--(*(cs25x--));

#10 2006-01-14 22:18:08

lilsirecho
Veteran

Cs25x;

I am pleased to receive comment on my hdparm difficulty.

As I pointed out earlier, I seem to be able to run it with my system as long as I set up the correct fstab.

Your use of the external enclosure is dedicated to 3.5" devices, as you stated.  I intend to use 5.25" CDRW and DVD+RW along with 3.5"HDD devices in an external enclosure with each device tied to an IDE cable, powered with 12V on all devices, and device selection by a 5V power switch connecting one device at a time.  I have 5 connectors provided on the IDE cable for IDE devices.  The IDE adapter power is turned off, the 5v  manual switch selects the desired device and the adapter power is turned back on.  This action creates a "Hotplug" request to the system based on the device ID provided by the active adapter and the appropriate USB connection is made in response by the arch USB system.

I ran hdparm to determine the impact of this arrangement on transfer speed and find it is not affected.

Since I have only had this running for two days now, I am going to exercise it and discover any glitches.  I have the primary HDD's setup similarly on 80 strand cable with no performance impact AFAICT.

Your proposal would be a possibility for USB control as you have presented it.  It may fit my system.  I have yet to exercise the arrangement enough to recognize any recurrent problems.

I am pleased that it performed well with k3b and cd burn.  Audio CD's perform correctly.  NTFS is recognized along with vfat and ext3.

Thanks for your post big_smile

#11 2006-01-15 05:16:57

lilsirecho
Veteran

Cs25x;
Entered the USB bus data you posted with a correction for the KERNEL.

I have the same device in my system but removed the partition data entry for "zdrive".

Do I need both elements of the code you provided?

Where does the symlink point...SYSFS?

#12 2006-01-15 17:46:13

lilsirecho
Veteran

The CDROM used to function in he USB setup but since entering the udev data , it no longer recognizes audio CD's.

I have added a new item for the USB storage device which includes KERNEL (0-9) to accomodate scd0.  It still fails to recognize the audio cd's.

I added GROUP="audio"  with no change.

I added GROUP="optical" with no change.

:?:  :?:

Board footer