You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-12 23:35:24

Snarkout

pcmcia issue

OK, I'm crossposting this.  I know this is seriously annoying, and I wouldn't do it except I absolutely have to have pcmcia support working on my lappy, and haven't been able to find any info in the forums or via google.

OK, this is going to very vague since I'm not at the lappy in question right now. My thinkpad t42 now has arch on it - nearly everything works very well except pcmcia, which is behaving strangely. As far as I can tell, all the normal pcmcia bus modules are being loaded fine. Specifically at this point a 3com 56k modem card which has worked in everything since redhat 6. I pop the card in, and a module is loaded for the card, the correct one AFAICT, but lshwd shows "module unknown." There is also no serial module loaded. I load serial_cs, and that get's added to the 3com cards mod list, but I cannot query any of my ttySx ports successfully. The modules also do not unload when I remove the pcmcia card. This is the first time I've used the new pcmcia stuff (non-pcmcia_cs) so I may be doing something boneheaded, but IME pcmcia has been more or less PnP.

I can post specifics later, but are there any basic pointers I need to follow? My pcmcia zip drive didn't load properly either.

[edit] neither did another pcmcia modem I've used in the past.  It autoloaded serial_cs, but nothing else.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#2 2006-01-13 14:51:16

brain0
Developer

Re: pcmcia issue

Just to make sure: Do you have udev installed? pcmciautils need udev to work properly.

#3 2006-01-13 15:02:06

Snarkout

Re: pcmcia issue

Yes.  Udev, hal and dbus are all loaded.  I should have probably included that this is a 7.1 install.  I've tried both the stock kernel and the archck kernel.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

Board footer