You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-30 14:18:54

Strider

Moving raid 1 partitions for an LVM on raid Arch installation

Hello,

After building an external disk into my PC and adding an SSD, I have almost completed reshuffling my partitions except one final step. The only thing is I do not know how to (safely) complete it.
Here is my current situation:
/dev/sda : SSD, gpt formatted that contains one partition /dev/sda1 on which Arch root is installed
/dev/sdb : mbr formatted, contains two partitions : one for Grub boot and one for Windows (this is a dual boot installation)
/dev/sdc and /dev/sdd : these are two identical disks of 640GB, each mbr formatted with a 200GB partition /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1, both are part of raid 1 array /dev/md1. On this raid array lvm is installed with the one volume group that has this array as physical volume and containing 4 logical volumes of which one is mounted as /home.

Now here is the thing : the two partitions /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1 start of on the disk after a 100GB unallocated space. Both (primary) partitions are followed ony by unallocated space also. I want to move them to the beginning of the disk so that I have a continous block of 440 GB of unallocated space after them. Gparted won't let me move them because they are in use. I already tried starting up gparted from 'system rescue cd' but that didn't work either. If a 'normal' partition is unmounted, gparted lets you move it, even if the source and target overlap (which is the case here).

Any ideas ?

Win XP -> Ubuntu -> Fedora -> Arch -> Arch -> Arch -> Ar...

Board footer