You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-11 20:29:30

eriks

H5321gw WWAN Device in X230 does not suspend

Hi,

I'm having problems with my built-in WWAN modem Ericsson H5321gw (USB connected), in a Thinkpad X230. I recently switched from laptopmode-tools to tlp and I am monitoring power usage with powertop since then.

The device doesn't enter suspend mode (powertop says "Bad: Autosuspend for USB device H5321 gw [Lenovo]"), which means it consumes about 200 mW if I have a good GSM network connection around and up to 4 W (!) if not, draining my battery. "tlp-stat -r" says "wwan: off (software)".

It might be that the behaviour was correct some days ago before some library or tool update, can't say for sure. At least I didn't recognize powertop's "Bad" warning last week.

Are there any hints where to look at? I tried to find the kernem module for the device, but apart from a general usb-to-serial-module wasn't able to match any. What's controlling the modem, where can I find a changelog/the source?

Thanks for you help
erik

P.S. I have similar problems with the built-in ethernet device, which can consume several watts without doing anything, but this disappears if I unload the corresponding kernel-module, "e1000e".

#2 2014-04-16 15:04:50

linrunner

Re: H5321gw WWAN Device in X230 does not suspend

Hi.

eriks wrote:

The device doesn't enter suspend mode (powertop says "Bad: Autosuspend for USB device H5321 gw [Lenovo]"),

Works as designed. Use USB_BLACKLIST_WWAN=0 to change it -> http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-con … n.html#usb

eriks wrote:

P.S. I have similar problems with the built-in ethernet device, which can consume several watts without doing anything, but this disappears if I unload the corresponding kernel-module, "e1000e".

Powertop tells you nonsense -> http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-faq … rtop_estim

#3 2014-04-17 14:54:12

eriks

Thanks for the pointers; I already suspected powertop to give partially unreliable informations, but as I had e1000e suspend issues before I thought there might be a problem anyway.

I am using the wwan modem only selectively, and I am travelling through/to regions with poor GSM network regularly, so I definetely need the modem to enter a suspended state properly.

How does TLP relates to "mmcli" (from ModemManager) switches? After "wwan off" the modem stays registered to the GSM network, only after a "mmcli -m <modem index> -d" (see mmcli --help-modem) it switches itself off. It's not directly possible to enable the modem again, you need to reset it first. Because of the reset it disappears for some seconds from the system and the index increases by one after it appears again. I alreay know this behaviour from before when I use laptopmode tools to manager power.

Do you know something about mmcli's --set-power-state-on/--set-power-state-low switch?

I'll monitor the behaviour with USB_BLACKLIST_WWAN=0 and report back here.

Thanks again, erik

#4 2014-04-19 11:54:03

linrunner

eriks wrote:

After "wwan off" the modem stays registered to the GSM network

I doubt this is possible, because TLP uses rfkill block wwan to turn the radio off. Maybe NM has difficulties to track the radio's status correctly. TLP doesn't use mmcli.

Board footer