You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-16 04:12:14

Archadept

[SOLVED] Unable to read fat fs USB key during init (kernel 3.14)

It is no longer possible to read USB key in fat file system. Known workarounds:

• change the file system of an usb device

• switch the kernel to lts version

As emengercy:

• place all files needed during boot on boot partition

• change the system configuration so usb key won't be needed

Is there a way to fix this?

Last edited by Archadept (2014-04-16 10:36:35)

#2 2014-04-16 04:37:25

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to read fat fs USB key during init (kernel 3.14)

I have a feeling that your booting kernel does not match the installed kernel.  This would explain the inability to load the vfat module.

#3 2014-04-16 05:37:50

ewaller
Administrator

I am not sure I understand.  In the title, what do you mean by "during init"?
What do you mean by "read USB key in fat file system"?   I think if you meant "read USB key with fat file system", then Wonderwoofy is probably correct.
What is the output of uname -a
and of
pacman -Qi linux
?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2014-04-16 09:35:26

Archadept

Sure, I could word it better.
By usb key I mean pendrive with fat filesystem on it. During init, during boot process, but before system is launched. That is content of a system drive is not loaded because boot fails.
Here is a longer and hopefully more understandable description of a problem:
Before system drive can be accessed a file must be read from a pendrive but new kernel 3.14 can't read from fat filesystem. It fails with following message:

FAT fs IO charset iso8859-1 not found

With usual on such occasion regards from mount:

mount wrong fstype, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdx1
missing codepae or helper program or other error [...]

In short the question is how to make it work with current kernel version.

WonderWoofy wrote:

I have a feeling that your booting kernel does not match the installed kernel.

ewaller wrote:

I think if you meant "read USB key with fat file system", then Wonderwoofy is probably correct.

And how this is even possible if mkinitcpio is run automatically each time new kernel version is installed?
How this can work for linux-lts, for linux kernel before version 3.14 and not this one? If it wouldn't work because of not matching booting kernel it wouldn't work at all ever or I am missing something?

#5 2014-04-16 09:40:11

zivziv
Website

I've noticed a similar problem with a USB stick and kernel 3.14.1 today: kernel module nls_iso8859-1 is now required in order to mount FAT FS (and it cannot be loaded automatically for some reasons).
I guess in your case nls_iso8859-1 just should be loaded before accessing the device.

#6 2014-04-16 10:35:30

Archadept

That was it! Thank you.

#7 2014-04-16 10:38:59

zivziv
Website

You are welcome.

#8 2014-04-16 14:39:39

ewaller
Administrator

Archadept wrote:

]
And how this is even possible if mkinitcpio is run automatically each time new kernel version is installed?
How this can work for linux-lts, for linux kernel before version 3.14 and not this one? If it wouldn't work because of not matching booting kernel it wouldn't work at all ever or I am missing something?

First, I was trying to determine whether you really meant that you were trying to access it in a preboot environment.  I see you are.   I have seen some, er, interesting configurations in which the boot partition is either not updated because it was not mounted, or the partition that was mounted as the boot partition is not really the place from which the system actually booted.  I have also seen systems with multiple distributions or with multiple kernels installed have mismatches between initrds and kernels.  For example, my system has the stock Arch kernel, a Gentoo monolithic kernel (all drivers built in, no initrd required), and a custom Arch kernel with a different initrd than that used by the stock kernel.  Things can get hosed.  Easily.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#9 2014-04-16 19:09:09

Archadept

As I already written I could provide more details from the beginning what would let me get faster an answear I was looking for.

ewaller wrote:

For example, my system has the stock Arch kernel, a Gentoo monolithic kernel (all drivers built in, no initrd required), and a custom Arch kernel with a different initrd than that used by the stock kernel.  Things can get hosed.  Easily.

I don't use other systems unless I have to have some closed source program. If I need to install other system than arch it is another arch. Sorry for archcentrism.
Anyway thank you for further explaining this matter.

#10 2014-04-27 12:26:59

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

zivziv wrote:

I guess in your case nls_iso8859-1 just should be loaded before accessing the device.

Thank you, solved my problem too.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#11 2014-06-02 19:43:46

arch-sash

graysky wrote:
zivziv wrote:

Thank you, solved my problem too.

Could someone explain me how i could load nls_iso8859-1 before accessing the device? How could i do that?

#12 2014-06-02 20:54:17

ukhippo

arch-sash wrote:

Could someone explain me how i could load nls_iso8859-1 before accessing the device? How could i do that?

It's a kernel module, so just modprobe it.

#13 2014-06-02 21:50:32

arch-sash

Thx, but i've modprobed nls_iso8859-1 and i'm getting the same error. Should i've done something else?

Board footer