You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-19 13:59:28

surf.bluecrab

Log out problem in all installed desktops

Hello, my name is Surf Bluecrab.

I have many distro on my system but I am new to Arch.

I have installed a month ago the "Bridge Linux" distro and I really like it.  So far this is the one I am having the most fun with and software available
thru the AUR is quite recent and I am now becoming comfortable with PACMAN, PACAUR and Octopi.

I have decided that Arch will become my main OS alongside a well configured and stable Fedora that can always be used for system rescue and stuffs.

I have a question and a problem I would like to ask the community:

1- I was wondering if a system installed from Bridge would be considered "Vanilla Arch" and if I would be allowed to join the Arch community?

2- I have installed all popular desktops and compiled thru PACAUR some least popular ones.  After a full system upgrade and desinstaling a non working 'Equinox Desktop' I have noticed a problem I cannot solve that happend in ALL my installed desktop:

I cannot fully logout. For example in KDE, if I logout, all windows and background shutdown but the mouse pointer keep moving forever never returning to lxdm ( the installed login manager that I prefer ).  The funny thing is the same thing happens in MATE, XFCE, LXDE.  The only way to fully log out is for me to log into console and kill lxdm-binary to automatically return to the graphical login.  I am unsure if the problem is related to lxdm or something else.  If anyone got an idea where I should look to try to fix this I would appreciate.

Well thats it for now, I havent read all the faq and rules yet so please be patient with me, I whould sincerly like to join this community, after playing with this distro for a month and learning a few things I have realised how much more tweaking fun Arch is compared to the others.

Thank you for readin.

PS : I am also shopping for a Raspberry Pi, I havent decided if I'll go with Raspbian or Arch arm.

Last edited by surf.bluecrab (2014-04-19 14:15:31)

#2 2014-04-19 18:29:16

Stebalien
Website

Re: Log out problem in all installed desktops

1- I was wondering if a system installed from Bridge would be considered "Vanilla Arch" and if I would be allowed to join the Arch community?

Anyone can join the Arch community. However, because Bridge is not Arch, you won't be able to use these forums for support.

Well thats it for now, I havent read all the faq and rules yet so please be patient with me, I whould sincerly like to join this community, after playing with this distro for a month and learning a few things I have realised how much more tweaking fun Arch is compared to the others.

The rules really aren't that long (and they answer your first question): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#3 2014-04-19 18:46:46

ewaller
Administrator

First, Welcome to the Arch Linux Community.  You are in smile

But, as you seem to be aware, Bridge Linux is not Arch Linux.  It is similar, but there are differences.  Unfortunately, it is not we who are cognizant of what are those differences.  The experts there are the people of Bridge itself.  We will ask you to take support questions to them.  We do that because our charter is to provide these forums as a resource to support Arch Linux.  We do not want to allow confusion to be introduced by dealing with special cases to handle non-Arch distributions.   In your case of not being able to log out, we cannot help you.  The issue may, or may not be caused by the differences in Bridge.  We are not going to be exploring those differences here.

As to your first question, " if a system installed from Bridge would be considered 'Vanilla Arch' ".  If you mean, I installed Bridge, is it vanilla Arch, no.  If, on the other hand, you mean this article on installing Arch Linux from an existing Linux distribution (In your case Bridge), yes that is a means of installing a true Vanilla Arch.

I will leave this open for now in the spirit of welcoming you to the Arch Community (even if you are not running Arch just yet tongue )

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2014-04-20 06:46:52

surf.bluecrab

Alright, thanks for the clarifications.

#5 2014-08-12 07:10:03

surf.bluecrab

Update:  I have now installed a genuine Arch from scratch.

Board footer