You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-23 16:32:46

thomas-kloiber

Cannot install arch linux in UEFI mode

Dear all,

I have a problem very similar to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=179686 but I also tried burning the .iso to a disk and the problem persists.
I burned the latest .iso and wanted to install within EFI mode. I tried to follow every hint in the wiki, especially the beginners guide. I started from CD and could enter the arch live shell, but when "Testing if you are booted into UEFI mode" no variables showed up. So I changed the settings in the BIOS that I don't want the legacy mode and set EFI only, which allows me - after a restart - to again choose the arch installation (now with an EFI added) but after that I get a black screen and nothing happens until I restart. I have absolutely no idea what's the problem. It is a Thinkpad T430 with latest UEFI-BIOS version.

Kind regards,
Thomas

#2 2014-04-23 16:47:22

Perfect Gentleman

Re: Cannot install arch linux in UEFI mode

Turn off Secure Boot for Windows in BIOS, if it's possible

#3 2014-04-23 17:22:50

WonderWoofy

You could also just be seeing the EFISTUB bug that has been hitting people sporadically for some time.

It is entirely possible to set up UEFI without actually booting via UEFI.  You just won't be able to write to the nvram to create boot entries.  So you will instead just have to rely on the "default" path of the ESP.  When there are no firmware entries that can be booted, the machine will fall back to whatever is at /EFI/boot/bootx64.efi on the first usable ESP.  Just stick for bootloader/boot manager in that spot, configure it properly, and you *should* be good to go. 

Of course, if Secure Boot is on as Perfect Gentleman has suggested above... it will still be borked.

#4 2014-04-23 17:36:27

thomas-kloiber

Thank you for the quick replies, but "secure boot" is off.

WonderWoofy, you mean that I should install arch linux in legacy mode and only after the installation set up UEFI and always boot via legacy mode? What's the benefit of this? Furthermore I can't (shouldn't) use GPT partitioning then?

Thanks, kind regards,
Thomas

#5 2014-04-23 18:12:10

Perfect Gentleman

thomas-kloiber, if it's possible try to choose to boot in "UEFI Mode First" or smth like that. Maybe you are booting in Compability Mode, so it tries Legacy Mode first, then UEFI.

#6 2014-04-23 18:19:08

the_shiver

thomas-kloiber wrote:

WonderWoofy, you mean that I should install arch linux in legacy mode and only after the installation set up UEFI and always boot via legacy mode? What's the benefit of this?

no, you do the installation in legacy mode but boot in uefi mode afterwards

thomas-kloiber wrote:

Furthermore I can't (shouldn't) use GPT partitioning then?

any sane firmware lets you use whatever partitioning scheme you want

#7 2014-04-23 19:57:05

thomas-kloiber

Perfect Gentleman wrote:

thomas-kloiber, if it's possible try to choose to boot in "UEFI Mode First" or smth like that. Maybe you are booting in Compability Mode, so it tries Legacy Mode first, then UEFI.

Thanks, but I've tried various options including UEFI/legacy, UEFI only and so on ... But if I manage to boot into UEFI, the screen gets always black after choosing to install arch.

the_shiver wrote:

no, you do the installation in legacy mode but boot in uefi mode afterwards.

Thank you very much, I will try that.

I just wonder if anyone else encountered that problem with a Thinkpad T4xx ... ?

Best regards,
Thomas

#8 2014-04-23 22:58:28

WonderWoofy

The thinkpads are the worst in regard to the EFISTUB bug.  So there is a good chance that this is what you are seeing here.  Basically the kernel is acting as its own UEFI bootloader, but it is failing. 

Just boot with the legacy bios mode on the installer, and then set it up according to the UEFI instructions (make the ESP and everything).  Then when you get to the part where a firmware entry is written, instead just rely on the 'default' bootloader position (/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi).  With both gummiboot and grub this firmware entry creation happens upon installation of the bootloader or boot manager.

#9 2014-04-23 23:16:38

okubax
Website

I had a similar problem with my mum's laptop, wouldn't boot in UEFI mode (black screen) no matter what I did. I solved it by using the 2014.01.05 release. Don't know why that worked and the current one doesn't.

#10 2014-04-24 17:49:58

thomas-kloiber

Thank you all, but unfortunately none of your suggestions worked, so I'll stick with BIOS for the moment.

Board footer