You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-24 22:45:40

LinuxChick

[SOLVED] Realtek ALC662 rev3 audio devices come and go??

This is a fresh install on a new computer, alsa is installed, everything is unmuted. I have sound, system notifications, youtube, vlc even in virutal box. Then for reason's I don't fully understand yet, I get KDE notifications like this: The audio playback device HD-Audio Generic (ALC662 rev3 Analog) does not work. Falling back to Default. Or KDE tells me the device has been removed. If I go into Kmix Audio Setup I have a nice list of devices that no longer work.
If I log out and log back in, everything is working again. Any help would be appreciated, this is driving me insane.

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****                                                                   
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]                                                        
  Subdevices: 1/1                                                                                             
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0                                                                                  
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC662 rev3 Analog [ALC662 rev3 Analog]                         
  Subdevices: 0/1                                                                                              
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 
lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_realtek    46566  1                                                               
snd_hda_codec_generic    53211  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek                                           
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     36588  1 
snd_hda_intel          37704  6 
snd_hda_codec          99871  4 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,da_intel
snd_hwdep               6332  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                79815  5 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_timer              18718  1 snd_pcm
snd                    59286  18 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,sm,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
soundcore               5418  1 snd

Last edited by LinuxChick (2014-04-26 22:45:35)

Girls use Linux too! smile

#2 2014-04-24 23:00:38

emeres

Re: [SOLVED] Realtek ALC662 rev3 audio devices come and go??

How about using code tags, eh? Do you run a sound server?  Should your HDMI be default? Set Generic to default sound card, there might be a problem with power saving.

Last edited by emeres (2014-04-24 23:16:47)

#3 2014-04-24 23:16:10

LinuxChick

Sorry, forgot about the code tags.No sound server and no HDMI should not be default. I have all the power settings to "always on"  I did noticed that if I bumped my usb cable, connected to the front usb3 port, it would pop up the kde error??  I have tried to set the default several times.
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

# AZALIA [AMD]
options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=auto vid=1002 pid=780D
# HDMI [AMD/ATI TINITY HDMI CONTROLLER]
options snd-hda-intel index=2 model=auto vid=1002 pid=9902

#4 2014-04-24 23:26:22

LinuxChick

OK, quite by accident I just figured out that having XP running in virtual box kills my audio devices in Arch (I still have sound in virtualbox). If I power off XP they all come back.

#5 2014-04-24 23:27:00

emeres

LinuxChick wrote:

I have all the power settings to "always on"

I do not know what settings you are referring to (probably within KDE), I was referring to  power_save=0 in module options, so that would be in your case:

# AZALIA [AMD]
options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=auto vid=1002 pid=780D power_save=0
LinuxChick wrote:

I did noticed that if I bumped my usb cable, connected to the front usb3 port, it would pop up the kde error??

Well that seems to be a electrical problem then. but you ALC662 card is integrated/non-usb, right?

#6 2014-04-24 23:31:43

LinuxChick

Integrated, yes. I just disabled the audio for XP and all is fine in Arch. This will work until I figure out why it's happening, I don't really need audio there anyway.

#7 2014-04-24 23:42:48

emeres

Do you have other configuration of alsa on that machine? (/etc/asound.conf; ~/.asoundrc) I do not know if VB grabs hardware directly (raw communication), since I do not use it. There should be some options to set default the device though, and if that modprobe options are your entire alsa setup, then dmix with dsnoop and all the other default.pcm.card fallback should work.

LinuxChick wrote:

all is fine in Arch

But the issue with KDE remains, I assume. So if you unplug that usb connector, does this issue reoccur? What are you connecting to that usb 3.0 port? A usb 2.0 device by any chance?

#8 2014-04-25 00:03:02

LinuxChick

The usb issue is resolved, it was only a problem with the old usb2 device that was plugged in to it, now that my new external hard drive is usb3 it doesn't give me any errors.  The only changes/settings I've done to do with Alsa are the modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
I think the problem with virtual box might be the fact that the xp "installed" to it was from my old computer. I did a fresh install of VB on this new machine but copied over the VB folder from my home directory on the old PC. Being that the old one was completely different hardware, that may explain the conflicts. Although, now that I think about it, it's funny the sound worked at all in the copied install,  I'm just not familiar enough with VB to know for sure.
So far no more KDE audio errors...

Last edited by LinuxChick (2014-04-25 00:04:52)

#9 2014-04-25 00:24:12

emeres

LinuxChick wrote:

The usb issue is resolved, it was only a problem with the old usb2 device that was plugged in to it

LinuxChick wrote:

So far no more KDE audio errors...

I am glad to read that.
However I fear the problem with different usb devices/connectors will become more frequent, especially since now usb 3.1 provides power outputs of 10 W, 60 W up to 100 W (5 A @ 20 V) and those connectors as well as sockets are not that sturdy. Low quality contacts, loose connectors might add resistance to the current path, and therefore have voltage drop across them, that especially when reattaching/moving the plug might cause several current spikes, that the motherboard voltage regulators cannot handle that well, which in turn might result in short suspend of several devices (like a soundcard). So checking all (internal) cables along the path is always recommended.

If you think, this issue is solved, please edit your first post/topic and mark it as such.

#10 2014-04-25 00:28:28

LinuxChick

I will leave it open for awhile, if I don't find any more ways to create the errors, I'll mark it solved. Thank you for your help.

Edited to add: Since it's been a couple days without any sound problems, I'm going to mark this solved.

Last edited by LinuxChick (2014-04-26 22:45:09)

Board footer