You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-30 20:47:52

speaker77

Poweroff works only in debug mode

Hello,

I am running a fully updated (30.4.14 ) Arch on an oldish P4, and my problem is that the computer does not poweroff of shutdown and reboots instead. The cmd I tried were "systemctl poweroff"  ,"poweroff", "shutdown -P now"

For some reason, if I append "debug" to the cmdline, powering off works as expected but then the pc boots slowly and i get my logfiles spammed.

The machine was running Ubuntu 10.04 with kernel 2.6 before where everything worked fine.

I tried to to add various acpi commands such as "acpi=noirg" or acpi_os_name="Microsoft Windows"

Whats different in debug mode that makes shutdown work?

#2 2014-05-01 07:37:29

ondoho
Website

Re: Poweroff works only in debug mode

welcome to archlinux forums!

have you tried:

sudo shutdown -h now

or:

sudo systemctl poweroff

#3 2014-05-01 23:53:42

speaker77

Hello ondoho,

yes I've tried them all as root.

Using "halt" or "shudown -h now " just brings the operating system down but leaves the computer powered on.

My problem is that neither of the "poweroff" commands switches the computer off but reboots/resets the machine, unless I am in debug mode.

#4 2014-05-02 06:00:00

ondoho
Website

oh, now i understand what you mean.
i've seen this problem on other forums (debian iirc).
have you searched here and elsewhere?
what's an oldish P4?
where did you get those acpi commands (i suppose you used them in grub) from and why did you think they would help?

#5 2014-05-02 06:37:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Have you tried:

systemctl poweroff -i

From man systemctl:

-i, --ignore-inhibitors
When system shutdown or a sleep state is requested, ignore inhibitor locks. Applications can establish inhibitor locks to avoid that certain important operations (such as CD burning or suchlike) are interrupted by system shutdown or a sleep state. Any user may take these locks and privileged users may override these locks. If any locks are taken, shutdown and sleep state requests will normally fail (regardless of whether privileged or not) and a list of active locks is printed. However, if --ignore-inhibitors is specified, the locks are ignored and not printed, and the operation attempted anyway, possibly requiring additional privileges.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-05-02 06:37:33)

#6 2014-05-02 08:20:23

ukhippo

I had the opposite problem on my new system in that it would not reboot; it would always power down but never power back up. My problem was solved by blacklisting the Intel Management Engine driver “mei_me”. I don't know if that driver is your problem or not, but if your system has that driver loaded you could check to see if blacklisting would work by unbinding it before the poweroff:
Get the device id bound to the driver:

ls -1L /sys/bus/pci/drivers/mei_me/ | grep ':'

E.g. 0000:00:1f.0
Now write (as root) that value to unbind:

echo 0000:00:1f.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/mei_me/unbind

Obviously replace 0000:00:1f.0 with your device id.
If your system still fails to power off, the problem is not with mei_me.
Otherwise, to save you from having to unbind the driver each time, you can blacklist the mei_me driver:
E.g.:

echo blacklist mei_me >> /etc/modprobe.d/fix-poweroff-problem.conf

And reboot

#7 2014-05-04 14:20:26

speaker77

ondoho wrote:

what's an oldish P4?

The hardware run one a Pentium 4 1.50Ghz from 2002, so it is kinda old.

"systemctl poweroff -i" didn't work. I think it is mainly because they're software inhibitors.

I also noticed that the harddrive spins down (I head a loud *klack*) but instead of stopping the power it just resets resulting in a reboot.

Board footer