You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-30 22:02:33

firbolg

CLOSED grub-mount delay (5 mins) when running grub-mkconfig

Hi
I'm running arch/gnome-64bit on /dev/sda3, multibooting with Win7 on /dev/sda1. Maybe not connected but I have very recently set up an arch/kde system on /dev/sda2 to have a look at kde. I keep my arch system up-to-date.
Each arch system has its' own swap partition.

When I run grub-mkconfig - in either arch system - it immediately finds kernel and init, says no volume groups found, then loops for 5 minutes before finding the other grub entries. It does complete successfully but with this 5 minute delay.
If I look in systems monitor while this is going on, it shows grub-mount /dev/sdax /var/lib/os-prober/mount using 50% cpu -  where /dev/sdax is the OTHER arch system, not the one currently running.

I've done some searching and looked at the grub archwiki but I cant see anything  relevant. Doesn't seem to be a Grub log?
I would appreciate a steer please re how I might track down this delay ?

Thank you
firbolg

Last edited by firbolg (2014-05-06 11:48:46)

#2 2014-04-30 23:36:02

firbolg

Re: CLOSED grub-mount delay (5 mins) when running grub-mkconfig

Just to add to above:
The delay is exactly 360 seconds.
Looking at the properties of the grub-mount process in system monitor, it shows the command as grub-mount /dev/sda2 /var/lib/os-prober/mount (/dev/sda2 is the non-running arch system) and on the next line it says "waiting channel".
Grub is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda (from /dev/sda3).
I've checked the BIOS and all seems good there. Win7 is not showing any problems and Device Manager shows all devices as good.
firbolg

#3 2014-05-01 08:27:49

firbolg

Hi
while waiting for a reply (hopefully), I tried something else.
I removed the second arch system - after taking an image copy - formatted its' partition, and reran grub-mkconfig.
The delay is gone!!
The problem seems to be with the second arch system or with the fact that there are 2 arch systems.
????
In case it may be relevant, sda is an ssd (running without problems for a couple of years now), and my mount options for the arch system are rw,relatime,data=ordered,noatime,discard.

firbolg

#4 2014-05-06 11:52:29

firbolg

No obvious cause found. I did see that on booting it gave a message that the superblock time was earlier than current time. When I checked, one OS was set to UTC and the other was not.
Could cause? Don't know. Both now set to UTC and problem has not reappeared.
Marking this closed rather than leave it hanging around here.

#5 2014-05-06 18:15:27

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Does that mean you would like it deleted? You can use the report button for that.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2014-05-06 22:26:32

firbolg

Unlikely to get a reply at this stage - also issue is gone /resolved for some reason. Probably no benefit to anyone to leave the posting there.

Board footer