#1 2014-05-03 11:21:59

Flicker

[SOLVED] Emergency mode after Failure 'to mount /media/sda2'

Hi,
When I turned on my machine today, I got this error while booting:

[failed] failed to mount /media/sda2
See 'systemctl status  media-sda2.mount for details'
[depend] Dependency failed for local file system

There are some other suggestions that appear on the screen, after it enters the emergency mode ("after logging in type journalctl -xb"), however the login screen never appears.

The machine was working perfectly yesterday. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Flicker (2014-05-04 14:04:18)

#2 2014-05-03 17:53:08

Spider.007

Re: [SOLVED] Emergency mode after Failure 'to mount /media/sda2'

I think you can simply exit the emergency mode and the boot will continue; as no system-files are located on the mount.
You might also tell us what "journalctl -xb" tells you, and what you normally mount on /media/sda2; because I'm not psychic, although I do sense you somehow expect us to fix this for you?

#3 2014-05-04 02:11:44

Flicker

I should have been clearer in the description. As I mentioned earlier, I get the following message:

[failed] failed to mount /media/sda2
See 'systemctl status  media-sda2.mount for details'
[depend] Dependency failed for local file system

After which, this message appears in an infinite loop:

'Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" to try again
to boot into default mode.'

While this message appears in an infinite loop, I can't type anything. The machine does respond to ctr+alt+del though (and shuts down). So, I can't exit emergency mode and can't login and hence can't type "journalctl -xb" and let you know what that results in.
How do I get out of this infinite loop? Maybe there is a way to exit that I don't know of.

Thanks in advance.

#4 2014-05-04 09:44:30

berbae

You have no other choice than to boot with a Live CD/DVD linux system and repair your installation from there.
Where does '/media/sda2' come from? Is it an external media disk? If so, try to boot with the disk removed.
Is there an entry for it in '/etc/fstab'? If so, comment it out and reboot.
Tell what is there at '/media/sda2'; the '/media' directory is for removable external disks; how did you configured the mounting in this directory?

#5 2014-05-04 12:22:35

hokasch

If you don't have a live media around, you can also edit the grub menu and add "init=/bin/bash" to the kernel line, then boot and comment the offending fstab entry (although IIRC last time I tried there were some issues with USB keyboards). Your systems seems badly outdated, what version of systemd are you running?

Last edited by hokasch (2014-05-04 12:27:46)

#6 2014-05-04 14:03:12

Flicker

Commented it out, and it works now. My windows share was mounted on /media/sda2.
I haven't updated my system in a month, mostly because the internet speeds where I was living wouldn't allow it and partly because I didn't take it too seriously. Updating system now.

Thanks again :-)

Board footer