You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-04 00:12:49

aule

Add another linux distribution to existing arch install

I would like to add another linux distribution (Ubuntu) and am hesitant to dive in in case I mess up my system. Currently, I have arch installed on an SSD with my /home and /var mounted on an HDD. Specifically, my set up looks like this:

sda
- sda1 /boot 512 MB
- sda2 / 50 GB

sdb
- sdb1 SWAP 4 GB
- sdb2 /var 4 GB
- sdb3 /home 923.5 GB

My plan is to use GParted to create two additional partitions on my SSD for Ubuntu (/boot and /), and two additional partitions on my HDD (/var and /home) for Ubuntu to use. Ideally, I'd like to share the swap space between the two OSs.

I'm using gummiboot as a boot manager and am unsure of how to integrate the two systems for booting.

Any advice on getting me through this would be appreciated.

#2 2014-05-04 00:43:37

ralvez
Website

Re: Add another linux distribution to existing arch install

If you want a total separation of concerns between your current install and Ubuntu you could use VirtualBox.

R.

#3 2014-05-04 00:58:07

aule

I was hoping to avoid running Ubuntu in a virtual machine as I'm using it only for gaming (i.e., running steam). I'd rather not install the Catalyst driver on my arch workstation, figuring I could create a dedicated gaming install to keep my arch install pure (i.e., open).

#4 2014-05-04 01:43:12

drcouzelis
Website

I just want to make sure, are you sure you need the Catalyst drivers? I play Portal 1 and 2 using the open source drivers.

Anyway, your setup sounds really complicated to me for just playing video games in. Just create a 200GB partition on the HDD and throw Ubuntu on it. tongue

#5 2014-05-05 20:50:12

aule

drcouzelis wrote:

I just want to make sure, are you sure you need the Catalyst drivers? I play Portal 1 and 2 using the open source drivers.

I think I do as I was getting errors regarding 3D something (I can't remember the specifics). My research, albeit very brief, came up with the solution of using the proprietary drivers.

Anyway, I just backed up and took the plunge. It was relatively harmless; GParted worked like a dream. I actually didn't need to create a second /boot partition as Ubuntu recognizes the ESP partition and just installed the bootloader next to my existing gummiboot installation. Now I'm presented with a grub2 menu on boot up and able to select Ubuntu or Arch. I'll do a bit of work to clean that up eventually and maybe install rEFInd.

My biggest struggle was actually getting steam to run on 14.04, but all is good now.

Board footer