You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-07 02:25:31

msw1

[SOLVED] Long firmware boot time

Hi. I'm not sure if this has a possible solution, but I figured I would try anyway.

My firmware takes a very long time to launch. Running systemd-analyze gives me:

Startup finished in 13.719s (firmware) + 349ms (loader) + 1.944s (kernel) + 842ms (userspace) = 16.856s

If there is any way to reduce the firmware boot time, it would be wonderful to know. If not, oh well.

I have a GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, FX-8320 processor, 840 EVO, and a Radeon 7850. I'm using UEFI GPT.

uname -a:

Linux msw1 3.14.3-1-ck #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 6 18:43:33 PDT 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Last edited by msw1 (2014-05-07 05:29:13)

#2 2014-05-07 03:55:05

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] Long firmware boot time

There is not much you can do about this.  It really has nothing to do with the operating system either. 

If it is a win8 certified board, you may want to check to see if there is some kind of option for fast boot.  If not, you could try to see if you can disable as much as possible in the UEFI firmware menu (bios).  When the machine POSTs, it polls for anything and everything that may be attached to the machine.  For things like USB, that can be pretty slow.  So if you can disable them, it should speed things up.  Once the kernel is loaded, it will re-poll for devices anyway and get everything going.

But all of this really is highly dependent on the particular firmware that the board ships with.

#3 2014-05-07 05:29:01

msw1

Re: [SOLVED] Long firmware boot time

WonderWoofy wrote:

There is not much you can do about this.  It really has nothing to do with the operating system either. 

If it is a win8 certified board, you may want to check to see if there is some kind of option for fast boot.  If not, you could try to see if you can disable as much as possible in the UEFI firmware menu (bios).  When the machine POSTs, it polls for anything and everything that may be attached to the machine.  For things like USB, that can be pretty slow.  So if you can disable them, it should speed things up.  Once the kernel is loaded, it will re-poll for devices anyway and get everything going.

But all of this really is highly dependent on the particular firmware that the board ships with.

Thanks for your help. By disabling things, I was able to get it to go down a few seconds. It's a shame it can't be more, I envy the people with <5 second boot times tongue
I'm marking this as solved because there probably isn't anything further that can be done.

Board footer