You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-13 10:23:23

momo.reina

Clonezilla and restoring images

I just got my Lenovo X1 back from the shop after a BIOS update basically broke it. The repair depot sent it back in it's factory default state, Windows8, Recovery partition, OEM partition, etc.

When I bought the laptop I created Recovery media using Windows' own software and wiped the disk, installing Arch. After the BIOS fiasco, I tried a system restore using the Recovery media but it didn't work, seemed like the Recovery media failed.

Now I'm thinking of just cloning the recovery and OEM partitions with Clonezilla before wiping the disk again and re-installing Arch, but I can't seem to find the relevant docs/resources on restoring the images on a disk where the partition scheme has changed. I intend on wiping the whole disk and repartitioning it, will this create problems later on if I try to restore the cloned partitions? Do I need to create empty partitions of the same size as the cloned ones before restoring the images?

#2 2014-05-13 11:14:59

Kartious

Re: Clonezilla and restoring images

I have used Clonezilla in the past to restore images of multiple systems including Arch for the main part I have used this utility for Domain Windows machines at work. But personally for Arch I feel that installing from scratch  is always the best way for it as I have occasionally experienced issues when attempting to restore the image, boot issues in particular.

#3 2014-05-14 00:28:25

momo.reina

Kartious wrote:

I have used Clonezilla in the past to restore images of multiple systems including Arch for the main part I have used this utility for Domain Windows machines at work. But personally for Arch I feel that installing from scratch  is always the best way for it as I have occasionally experienced issues when attempting to restore the image, boot issues in particular.

I'm planning to install Arch from scratch, the cloned images are supposed to be the recovery partitions for Windiws8. Since I'll be wiping the SSD and repartitioning it for Arch, my question is is it possible to restore the recovery partitions even though the SSD's partition scheme will be different from when the images were cloned. This is just a precaution for possible doomsday scenarios, like Lenovo not honoring the guarantee because I wiped the OS the laptop came with.

#4 2014-05-14 08:39:24

Kartious

momo.reina wrote:

Since I'll be wiping the SSD and repartitioning it for Arch, my question is is it possible to restore the recovery partitions even though the SSD's partition scheme will be different from when the images were cloned.

You can take images of both partition schemes or complete drives, its up to you what you would like to do. I have not really had any issues with any hidden or recovery partitions after restoring. I always as a precaution is restore the image onto a different disk to test if the image is all good and healthy before I continue onwards.

#5 2014-05-16 01:21:28

QuimaxW
Website

Clonezilla will save the partition scheme with the data in the partitions, so long as you do a "save-disk" option, you'll have no problems restoring the notebook back to factory using the Clonezilla image.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

Board footer