You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-22 18:34:24

Snarkout

kisolaves/hal/dbus/pmount and firewire ipod

Ok - this one is confusing me no end, probably because I can't find any documentation about kioslaves and hal/dbus except for install docs.  I have an ipod that is seen by kde perfectly when plugged in via usb2, but not at all when plugged in via firewire.  That is, a nice desktop icon shows up, and is mountable with a doubleclick.  I'm only using the ipod in this example because it's what I was working on last night, but I've had the same problem with actual firewire drives as well.  I have the sbp2 module loaded, but when I plug my ipod in, I get the following lines dumped to dmesg:

Jan 22 00:23:11 pinkwater sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
Jan 22 00:26:23 pinkwater scsi7 : SCSI emulation for IEEE-1394 SBP-2 Devices
Jan 22 00:26:24 pinkwater ieee1394: sbp2: Logged into SBP-2 device
Jan 22 00:26:24 pinkwater Vendor: Apple     Model: iPod              Rev: 1.53
Jan 22 00:26:24 pinkwater Type:   Direct-Access-RBC                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Jan 22 00:26:28 pinkwater sdb: Spinning up disk.....ready
Jan 22 00:26:28 pinkwater SCSI device sdb: 29297520 512-byte hdwr sectors (15000 MB)
Jan 22 00:26:28 pinkwater sdb: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
Jan 22 00:26:28 pinkwater SCSI device sdb: 29297520 512-byte hdwr sectors (15000 MB)
Jan 22 00:26:28 pinkwater sdb: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
Jan 22 00:26:28 pinkwater sdb: sdb1 sdb2

Those errors don't seem fatal, but I'd like to know why I'm getting them.  The ipod is formatted as fat32.  I've tried various udev entries I've seen around the net, and none of them have had any different effect.  However, here is my current hal.rules entry:

BUS="scsi", SYSFS{vendor}="Apple*", SYSFS{model}="iPod*", NAME="ipod", USER=hal

Which as far as I can tell does more or less nothing useful, just like every other suggested udev entry I've found.  I end up with /dev/ipod instead of /dev/sdb, and /dev/ipod is the wrong partition - mounting it will mount will mount /dev/sdb1 rather than /dev/sdb2, which is what I need.  In any event, it doesn't mount itself at all, nor does it show up in media:/.  I can remove that udev line, set hard mount points in fstab and manually mount it just fine, but I'd really like to have it handled in a better fashion.  Pmount and pmount-hal don't seem to do anything that an fstab entry doesn't other than it refuses to unmount once I'm done with an error about /media/sdb2 not existing in fstab, and me not being root.

Ideas?  Pointers to places to read about all of this stuff?  Is it udev, hal, dbus, pmount or what that I'm screwing up here? I've had a really hard time finding *anything* about kde media manager - instead nearly everything is aimed at GVM, and even that stuff essentially says "And now it just works - see how cool it is?"  Am I just not getting this stuff, or is there really a major problem with the current implementation of media:/?

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

Board footer