You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-23 21:42:55

desertViking

madwifi drivers - T22

Hi,

I've got a T11 with a IBM PCMCIA wireless card 802.11 a.b.g.  It seems to work well with madwifi.

Question.

It seems like I need run wlanconfig every time I boot to create the ath0 alias.  This, followed by the necessary iwconfig directives.  For the moment, the commands are entered into rc.local.  rc.local seems to execute after everything in rc.conf is run.

I'd like to use the network-profiles/ directory, and control this through rc.conf.  Being a laptop, sometimes it's hardwired, sometimes it's not.

Is there a place further up the food chain in the rc files where I could embed the wlanconfig command?  Or, am I messed up and there's a way to make the ath0 alias permant?

Thx in advance.

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#2 2006-01-24 18:16:53

desertViking

Re: madwifi drivers - T22

Hi all,

I haven't learned how to insert a script file further up the rc.conf food chain yet.

However, after upgrading udev and hardware detect, an ath0 module is now loaded before the network script.

I don't know, though, if this is because of something I did, or something the upgrade did.

Perhaps wlanconfig *is* persistent?

At the moment, the boot sequence is ok, though.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#3 2006-01-25 13:31:20

desertViking

Re: madwifi drivers - T22

It seems now that in order to reboot and restart the wireless connection, I must first

wlanconfig destroy

and then recreate the alias

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta

Without doing this, the connection will appear to connect to the wireless router, but will fail dhcplient.
Can anyone offer some advice?  I thought this might have something to do with the new udev and hardware detect.  I'd post elsewhere but dont' want to cross-post the question if knowledgeable folks have already seen it.
Thx in advance!

Board footer