You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-23 22:37:19

nahoj

Can't get x org kde to work when installing Noodle on my lap

Hi

After a lot of problems trying to upgrade my laptop to kde 3.4 I decided to make a new install.

I copied the /etc to safe place (/home/etc ; different partition)
Then I made a new install using the iso-burned Noodle.

Everything worked BUT X!

I have tried to use hwd -x, hwd -xa, mkcfg, and other tools and everything looked nice but it will not work. For some time I had x to start but never kde. And now neither of them will start.

Any hints? My laptop is Amilo Pro 2000. With Wombat I didn't need to make anything to get x work. It just worked all right from the very beginning. But I am not fond of the idea to reinstall wombat and then make an update and change to udf, get rid of hotplug etc, etc.

regards,

/Nahoj

Computers never saves time - but they help you produce more in the same timespan...

#2 2006-01-23 22:47:02

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: Can't get x org kde to work when installing Noodle on my lap

any log files, command line outputs and xorg version would be usefull as it is not quite clear what you're trying to do

#3 2006-02-01 19:57:13

nahoj1976

well, now it somehow works...

I have allways had startx as startcommand for the graphical login but now I need to use kdm. I don't know why.

What more: It is not possible to add kdm in the end of /etc/rc.local and that way get it to start at boot up. Now I need to log in in textmode and then write kdm <enter>

I'm a bit confused but it works at least. And the wireless card works too. And boot up is a bit faster than before too.

#4 2006-02-01 20:01:46

mtrivs

nahoj1976 wrote:

well, now it somehow works...

I have allways had startx as startcommand for the graphical login but now I need to use kdm. I don't know why.

What more: It is not possible to add kdm in the end of /etc/rc.local and that way get it to start at boot up. Now I need to log in in textmode and then write kdm <enter>

I'm a bit confused but it works at least. And the wireless card works too. And boot up is a bit faster than before too.

If you add kdm to your daemons line in /etc/rc.conf it will start kdm at boot.
here is my daemons line:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !hotplug !pcmcia dbus hal kdm cups webmin autofs hwd network
netfs crond)

~HP ZV6000 Series CTO~
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
-1.5GB RAM
-128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X200m
-80GB 5400RPM HD
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/scarface/recenttracks/mtrivs.gif[/img]

Board footer