You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-02 05:21:34

zematis

Thinkpad Extra Buttons scancodes not generated on keypress

Recently, my Thinkpad Edge 14's extra buttons (volume adjustment, monitor backlight adjustment, etc.) stopped working. The function keys (which are placed on the same buttons, and usable via the function key) still work, so I'm pretty sure the keyboard itself is intact.

I'm pretty sure I've traced the problem back to the extra buttons somehow not generating scancodes.
using the community getscancodes package, I've discovered the following:

# getscancodes /dev/input/event13
Input Driver version is 1.0.1
Input device ID: bus 0x19 vendor 0x17aa product 0x5054 version 0x4101
Input device name: "ThinkPad Extra Buttons"
| | < -- cursor flashing here

Which fails to produce any scancodes when I press any of the extra buttons (volume, brightness, etc.).

To be exhaustive, I checked the other input events, and tested to see if any of them noted scancodes (several did), and to see if any of them noted scancodes from the extra buttons (none did).

Edit (some more info): These keys were working until very recently, so something broke them. I'm not really sure what. One possible candidate was a pacman -Syu I did yesterday. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I know exactly when they stopped working, so I can't pinpoint if this was the problem, or if something else caused the issue.

Edit2: showkey --scancodes doesn't note any input from these keys either.

I'm not sure where to google, or what to look for in order to try and see what might be causing the issue, and/or how to fix it. Any help you guys have have to offer would be appreciated.

Last edited by zematis (2014-06-02 05:54:28)

Board footer