You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-02 18:54:02

mythmon
Website

A prettier encrypt hook?

I'm using the LUKS encrypt hook on my root partition, and it works well, but it's rather ugly and unstyled. Worse yet, the font size is fairly small. On most systems, this is fine, but I have a retina-level display on this laptop (2nd gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon), so the text is very easy to miss, and quite hard to read.

Is there a way to make this decryption prompt look different? I notice that Ubuntu's version of the same dialog looks a lot nicer on the same hardware, mainly because it is fairly large and placed in the center of the screen.

#2 2014-06-02 19:48:51

ANOKNUSA

Re: A prettier encrypt hook?

It's not really clear what the problem you're hoping to solve is, here. The "encrypt hook" is the hook in the initrd that halts booting temporarily to ask the user to enter a passphrase to decrypt a LUKS container; it always appears in the same place at the same point in the boot sequence. There is no dialog, and if nothing else, the fact that your system isn't booting should be a sign that you need to enter your passphrase. Is the font for the passphrase prompt any different from that of the rest of the boot sequence?

#3 2014-06-02 20:45:35

clfarron4
Website

mythmon wrote:

I'm using the LUKS encrypt hook on my root partition, and it works well, but it's rather ugly and unstyled. Worse yet, the font size is fairly small. On most systems, this is fine, but I have a retina-level display on this laptop (2nd gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon), so the text is very easy to miss, and quite hard to read.

Is there a way to make this decryption prompt look different? I notice that Ubuntu's version of the same dialog looks a lot nicer on the same hardware, mainly because it is fairly large and placed in the center of the screen.

Ubuntu uses plymouth as part of the boot-up process, hence the "nicer" interface. You can probably get it to work on Arch (have fun trying to set-up the relevant hooks).

IIRC, the hook you should be looking at is the plymouth-encrypt hook. I don't know the ins-and-outs of it because Plymouth hates me (irrespective of distribution).

Fun fact: Last time I removed the plymouth package on Ubuntu, it resulted in basically un-installing almost all the packages the Ubuntu installation had.

Last edited by clfarron4 (2014-06-02 20:56:56)

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#4 2014-06-02 22:57:27

mythmon
Website

ANOKNUSA: The problem I'm trying to solve is 100% aesthetic. The font is the same as the rest of the boot process, which is also excruciatingly small, but I don't care about it as much.

clfarron4: Thanks for the tip about Plymouth. I would enjoy having a prettier boot process, so maybe I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: Thanks, Plymouth with the caledonia theme is pretty great.

Last edited by mythmon (2014-06-03 06:36:27)

Board footer