You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-03 10:37:47

archlinux20130905

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 graphics adapter and EnableBrightnessControl

Dear all,

In order to get brightness support for the Fn-Keys of my Sony VAIO-VGNFE41Z I set EnableBrightnessControl=1 as explained in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA under "Enabling Brightness Control" and it works. However every time, I set the screen brightness to a value smaller than 100%, I can hear a weird sound coming from the laptop. The sound gets stronger if I lower the screen's brightness even further. The weird sound disappears again if I set the screen brightness back to 100%. Did anyone experience something similar with this graphics card? What is causing this?

Another issue is that the initial brightness of the screen is too high and has to be adjusted, every time I log into KDE. However I also stumbled upon the key 'SmartDimmerEnable'. Although I'm not sure, whether the NVidia driver for linux supports it and I'm not even sure that it has anything to do with automatic screen brightness adjustment. Does anyone know, how to fix the sound and initial brightness issue?

The sound issue is annoying and I'm also afraid that somehow this issue might damage the graphics card.

Thanks.

Board footer