You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-05 22:04:39

MrElg

[SOLVED] Headphones (jack) problem on Asus EeePC

Hi

I suddenly got a problem connecting my headphones on my EeePC 1001PX. There are no sound through the headphones, and the built-in speakers are still playing (non-muted). This problem came seemingly from nowhere, since I did no updates or configuration changes between when it worked and when the problem started. (But as always, on should be wrong with such an assumption, as problems should have an origin.)

I have used ArchLinux on this machine in about a year now. And the problem has occured once before. The sound worked flawlessly after I installed Arch. But some time later, the problem occured. I tried reinstalling the alsa components, and reinstalling the kernel to see if that would help, but there were no change. Booting a live USB with Arch, the sound worked perfectly. So I decided to format my root partition and do a vanilla install of Arch (keeping the home partition). Everything worked out well, however now, a few months later, the problem has returned.

I use clean alsa, no pulse. I have tried to look up the problem on our friend google, but finding no references to similar problems. The guide here on Arch Wiki has got some references to sound card problems on EeePC models. But setting model in a modproble.conf or sound.conf makes little difference. (Unless I'm doing something terrible wrong here.) The sound card worked anyways without such a conf before.

I'm using Arch on three different machines, and the others have no such problems, despite being set up in the same manner. The other computers are not Asus machines.

Asus EeePC has an audo ouput and mic input combined (same jack input). I'm wondering now if either the software does not detect the jack connected, or that it possible confuses it with a mic input connected. However I'm not used to such troubleshooting. So I'm needing either any tips on how to solve the problem, or how to find any info that can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks for any hints on how to solve or locating the problem. I rather find a permanent solution this time, than doing a vanilla install yet another time (even though installing Arch is even funnier than doing pacman -Syu, yes, it's possible). And I really should have working headphones for this one, as my EeePC is my travelling companion, and sound in movies and music is best enjoyed alone when taking the train.

EDIT: typo

Last edited by MrElg (2014-06-06 00:55:09)

#2 2014-06-05 23:53:56

emeres

Re: [SOLVED] Headphones (jack) problem on Asus EeePC

MrElg wrote:

Asus EeePC has an audo ouput and mic input combined (same jack input). I'm wondering now if either the software does not detect the jack connected, or that it possible confuses it with a mic input connected. However I'm not used to such troubleshooting. So I'm needing either any tips on how to solve the problem, or how to find any info that can lead me in the right direction.

See how the jack socket is mapped with hdajackretask from alsa-tools.

Last edited by emeres (2014-06-05 23:54:18)

#3 2014-06-06 00:54:51

MrElg

emeres wrote:

See how the jack socket is mapped with hdajackretask from alsa-tools.

Thanks. Didn't know about that tool. I was surprised by it, and it even having gui.

It solved it all after forcing model=auto and doing an override on the headphones connector. (Even though I didn't do any changes in the override.)

Is this a common and known error that might occur? Im wondering, since you dragged this tool right out of the hat. And I have never experienced that the audio has not worked out of the box before on linux. But I guess I probably should learn the alsa tools out there anyways.

Thanks again for that quick and elegant fix.

EDIT: typo

Last edited by MrElg (2014-06-06 00:58:32)

#4 2014-06-06 07:37:30

emeres

Glad I could help. It is not necessarily common, even though that particular hardware group, compliant with hda specifications, is. Hdajackretask is a gui for hda-verb and that is, from what I understand, called every boot several times to set up and communicate with the codec (in a similar way at least). So the problem might occurred after wrong shutdown or boot or power failure (logical "or"), where the hardware state was being changed for example. Writing it is a double jack socket, gave me the idea to check that.

#5 2014-06-06 09:09:12

MrElg

Thanks. This was a great explaination. I love the problems that makes you learn something new.

This computer has indeed got power problems. The battery has run out of juice, so now I only use tha machine when it is plugged in. Sometimes the power plug loosens from the machine, and then I get a blackout.

I know that this machine has seen better days. But as long as I keep a minimalistic Arch install, it works great for both movies in low resolution and music. Thats basically all I need. And I love the slimness of it.

Board footer