You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-08 03:41:28

Salkay

[SOLVED] Smartmontools pop-up window

In Kubuntu, I could make smartmontools run as a daemon and pop-up a window if there were any issues with my hard drives. This was very useful. Several times, I was informed that my hard drives were running dangerously hot, so I could slow down whatever I was doing at the time.

In Arch, it seems that vanilla smartmontools can only mail users and log when there are issues, which is obviously a lot slower. Is there a way to get a pop-up window as in (K)ubuntu?

FWIW I think (K)ubuntu relies on a script called smartd-runner. I tried to copy it to Arch, but not surprisingly, it failed. I also tried gsmartcontrol from the Arch repos, but this didn't appear to have an "instantaneous-warning" feature either.

Last edited by Salkay (2014-07-25 13:06:27)

#2 2014-06-25 08:02:26

fungle

Re: [SOLVED] Smartmontools pop-up window

So I just read through the Ubuntu docs you just linked and they were pretty thorough. Since arch doesn't have a `smart-notifier` package, your best bet, if you happen to be savy at scripting/programming, is to roll your own and use the libnotify or zenity bubble pop-ups.

You can tell smartd to run your script instead of running the mail command. If you are not so savy at scripting, then you can try to porting the `smartd-runner` script over.

You will need to copy the directory /etc/smartmontools/run.d/ and the scripts in it and makes sure that the scripts are compatible and meet any necessary dependencies. This sentence from the ubuntu doc is especially revealing

/usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner is a script that basically saves the report to a temporary file, and then runs anything it finds in /etc/smartmontools/run.d/; take a look there to understand what you already have (there should be a script that mails the report).

Then you can follow the steps in the docs under the Personal Computer header that tells you how to create custom notificiations.

Good Luck.

#3 2014-07-25 06:51:00

Salkay

Thanks for the reply fungle, and apologies for my delay in replying. I've been pretty busy recently, so I haven't had a chance to look at this. I'll definitely post back with more details once I have a try.

#4 2014-07-25 13:01:52

Salkay

Okay, so I cobbled together a script that works. It's pretty hacky, and has things in it that shouldn't be hard-coded, but it does work. Firstly, edit the configuration file at /etc/smartd.conf. The only uncommented line should be

DEVICESCAN -m root -M test -M exec /usr/local/bin/smartd_alert

Then, create the following script at /usr/local/bin/smartd_alert. This uses yad, but as fungle says, you could use other notifications if you like. This script will pop up a message, and also mail you when smartd encounters a warning.

#!/usr/bin/env bash

NOTIFIEDUSER=<!!YOUR_USERNAME_HERE!!>
message="$(cat $1)"

sudo -u $NOTIFIEDUSER DISPLAY=:0 yad --center --title=Smartmontools --text="$message" --button=OK:0 --image "dialog-warning" --sticky

# Send mail if /usr/bin/mail exists
if ! [ -x /usr/bin/mail ]; then
        echo "Your system does not have /usr/bin/mail.  Install the mailx or mailutils package"
        exit 1
fi

echo "$message" | /usr/bin/mail -s 'Smartmontools warning' $NOTIFIEDUSER

Give it executable permissions, then restart smartd with

$ sudo systemctl restart smartd.service

Hopefully, you should get the popup and the mail immediately. If it works fine, then turn off "testing mode" by re-editing /etc/smartd.conf and removing "-M test". i.e. it should read

DEVICESCAN -m root -M exec /usr/local/bin/smartd_alert

Finally, restart smartd.service.

Thanks again for the help, fungle!

Board footer