You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-12 05:03:31

Salkay
Member
Registered: 2014-05-22
Posts: 215

[SOLVED] Problem with Thunderbird Arch package

I've moved from Kubuntu to Arch, partially because of several bugs introduced in the distribution. One of these is present in the Thunderbird Ubuntu package, but absent in Thunderbird directly from the Mozilla website. However, oddly enough, I also see this bug in the Arch Thunderbird package.

When I compose emails in Thunderbird, I can attach png/jpg images by dragging from the file browser to the header region of the compose window, where they are attached with correct mimetype of image/png.

Content-Type: image/png;
name="foo.png"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename="foo.png"

Similarly, inline png images attach fine when using Thunderbird's native file picker.

Content-Type: image/png;
name="foo.png"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <part1.random_numbers@foobar.com>
Content-Disposition: inline;
filename="foo.png"

However, when I attach them inline by dragging from the file browser into the body, they are attached with the incorrect mime type of text/plain.

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <part1.random_numbers@foobar.com>

The latter displays fine for the recipient if they are using Thunderbird, or via the gmail web interface. However, OSX Mail.app users only see a text file <Mail Attachment.txt> full of nonsense, although they can rename it to *.png . Kmail also fails to display the image correctly.

It seems that Thunderbird is using the wrong mime type when png images are attached inline. (I also see a similar problem with .jpg files.)

Does anyone see this? I wonder if it's something that follows from my "Kubuntu-eqsue" settings. Otherwise, is it likely that this bug was introduced separately in both Ubuntu and Arch packages? I would have assumed that the last common ancestor of both was the official version from the Mozilla website, so I guess both distributions have introduced this bug independently?

Last edited by Salkay (2014-06-12 14:52:26)

Offline

#2 2014-06-12 14:26:11

Lone_Wolf
Member
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 4,664

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with Thunderbird Arch package

I just tested by sending such a message to my own email address, also in thunderbird.
, this is what source shows in the received message :

Content-Type: image/png;
name="gaaaadgh."
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <part1.07030402.06040004@xs4all.nl>
Content-Disposition: inline;
filename="gaaaadgh."

I use Krusader with LXDE.
Which file browser are you using ?
does it also happen with other file browsers ?


Booting with apg Openrc, NOT systemd.
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

Offline

#3 2014-06-12 14:34:45

drcouzelis
Member
From: Connecticut, USA
Registered: 2009-11-09
Posts: 3,570
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with Thunderbird Arch package

Salkay wrote:

I've moved from Kubuntu to Arch, partially because of several bugs introduced in the distribution. One of these is present in the Thunderbird Ubuntu package, but absent in Thunderbird directly from the Mozilla website. However, oddly enough, I also see this bug in the Arch Thunderbird package.

Another clarification: On which operating system were you running Thunderbird directly from the Mozilla website?

What file manager were you using in Kubuntu? What file manager do you use in Arch Linux? I've seen different file managers attach things differently in Thunderbird. It got to the point where I didn't know what would happen when I clicked and dragged a file onto a new email window, so instead I always just use the "Attach" button in Thunderbird. That always works for me, so whatever. hmm

I wonder if it's a library / mimetype issue...

Offline

#4 2014-06-12 14:52:11

Salkay
Member
Registered: 2014-05-22
Posts: 215

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with Thunderbird Arch package

Oh. Um. That's bizarre. It's now working fine. There was a KDE update today, so perhaps that fixed it. Sorry for the noise. It was the first thing I checked when moving to Arch, so I'm sure it wasn't working a few days ago.

FWIW I was using Dolphin in KDE. Previously I had tested several other methods of dragging (e.g. Konqueror, Krusader, Firefox, Kate's file picker), but they had all failed in Kubuntu at least.

Thanks for the replies, both of you.

Last edited by Salkay (2014-06-12 14:52:59)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB