You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-12 23:21:38

maximiliankaul
Website

Resume sometimes results in unresponding laptop. Need tips to debug.

Hi all,
I have a major problem with 2 MacBook Air's that I hope someone can help me debug.
This issue is not reproducible all the time. It sometime happens. Sometimes everything works as expected.
The problem:
After resuming (from hibernate not suspend) the laptop becomes unresponsive to any and all events. The only thing that works to my knowledge is to press the power key for several seconds and hard reboot it that way.
This issue has been there for some time. So I can't pinpoint it to a specific kernel or set thereof.

Hardware:
MacBook Air 6,2 with the Intel  i7-4650 CPU

Software:
up-to-date ArchLinux (64 bit)
Windowmanager: one laptop i3, the other xfce
Screenlock on booth laptops: i3lock executed by this systemd unit

$ cat /etc/systemd/system/i3lock@.service 
[Unit]
Description=User resume actions
Before=sleep.target

[Service]
User=%I
Type=forking
Environment=DISPLAY=:0
ExecStart=/usr/bin/i3lock -c 000000

[Install]
WantedBy=sleep.target

On the i3 laptop hibernation is invoked by logind.conf

$ grep hibernate /etc/systemd/logind.conf
HandlePowerKey=hibernate
#HandleHibernateKey=hibernate
HandleLidSwitch=hibernate

On the xfce laptop hibernate is started by xfce power manager.

Both laptops use the mba6x backlight driver from aur
Both systems do not have acpid installed.

What happens when the issue appears:
1) Open lid and press power key
2) Screen turns on and reaches i3lock (I can tell that, because the xfce laptop set a wallpaper for i3lock which is displayed)
3) No reaction to any input. Pressing keys (including Fn+Ctrl+F1 through F9) does not result in any reaction. Closing the lid again does not result in any action (it just stays as it is with the i3lock and display backlight on). I can't ssh into the machine.

How do I find the cause for this problem? As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the logs because it does not get written to disk before rebooting the laptop (and I have no idea which log to check. On a running system I would check dmesg, X11-log, and journalctl -f...)

Please ask for any information that I missed. I really want to resolve this problem and learn how to find the cause.
Yes, I googled and searched the forum and read quite a couple other posts to no avail...

P.S.
I just tuned off the i3lock unit on the i3 laptop the see whether the issue goes away - but this doesn't seem likely to me.

#2 2014-06-17 16:54:53

maximiliankaul
Website

Re: Resume sometimes results in unresponding laptop. Need tips to debug.

Ok, the problem did not appear since I turned of the i3lock unit.
Does anyone see a mistake I made in the unit file, or has another solution on how to lock the laptop once it goes into suspend/hibernate?

Board footer