You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-15 03:06:48

thiagowfx

[SOLVED] Arch Cleanup - Suggestion of new wiki page

Hi,

I was thinking of creating a wiki page instructing how to cleanup Arch. By 'cleanup', I mean deleting files, restoring changes, rolling back to default configs, etc. Before doing that, however, I'd like to know whether this information is already present somewhere, or whether an article like this would be really necessary.

I'm not 100% sure about how would the article look like, but I have some ideas in mind. Please notice that some of them are already present in the Wiki, but in a structured manner, as part of other articles; the objective of a 'cleanup' page would be to collect everything in one place -- linking to other pages where needed, instead of duplicating information, of course.

Some examples:

• deleting orphan packages; deleting old packages in the pacman cache (widely discussed in the pacman page);

• listing the most heavy packages in the system;

• removing no more needed users (for example, some AUR packages do not correctly post_remove them -- OK, AUR is unsupported, but this would be a cleanup anyway)

• finding broken symlinks;

• finding files lying around in the filesystem without tracking of pacman;

• resetting mimetypes / file associations;

• removing folders in $HOME that some applications create;

• listing cleanup apps (examples: bleachbit, gconf-cleaner) and wiki pages which provide this kind of information;

This is the direction that I have in mind right now. Before putting some effort into it, I'd like to hear your opinion whether any of these items are relevant; and, in the case of yes, additional suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by thiagowfx (2014-06-15 04:41:34)

#2 2014-06-15 03:24:11

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Cleanup - Suggestion of new wiki page

There already is https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance - you can add what's missing to this page.

#3 2014-06-15 03:35:30

thiagowfx

Thanks, karol. I'll mark this as solved as soon as I've added there the items I suggested here.

Edit: I've created a Cleanup redirect and added some edits there.

Last edited by thiagowfx (2014-06-15 04:42:49)

#4 2014-06-15 05:51:19

Jristz

I heard Gentoo one time try a cleanup in they wiki.... not end well

Well the wiki is editable and surely you cxould sugest changs or do them in the wiki's pages

Last edited by Jristz (2014-06-15 05:51:48)

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#5 2014-06-15 10:51:30

karol
Archivist

Jristz wrote:

I heard Gentoo one time try a cleanup in they wiki.... not end well

thiagowfx means system maintenance i.e. how to make your Arch Linux installation lean and mean.

Board footer