#1 2014-06-20 03:15:50

ini_universe

System stuck at "::Running early hooks [udev]"

Hi,guys,

I've downloaded an archlinux ISO and installed arch on my laptop:

Current Release: 2014.06.01
Included Kernel: 3.14.4
ISO Size: 547.0 MB

and I used syslinux(vesamenu) as bootloader,it worked fine until once I inserted a USB stick exactly the same time when the syslinux menu showed up.
THEN system stuck at "::Running early hooks [udev]",SINCE THEN,there is a 50% chance system will stuck there.

I saw a thread:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=146834
but it's a different situation:I don't have a microcode module in mkinitcpio.conf,actually I just added "consolefont" to "HOOKS" and "i915" to "MODULES" for using Lat2-Terminus16 as console font,and it worked OK before.

Should I downgrade the kernel or just re-install everything?
Did inserting USB stick at that specific time trigger something?

PS:I give syslinux(vesamenu) a background,that won't be a problem I guess......

THX

Last edited by ini_universe (2014-06-20 06:05:26)

#2 2014-06-20 04:15:42

WonderWoofy

Re: System stuck at "::Running early hooks [udev]"

Are you talking about booting the ISO or an installed system.  It sounds like an installed system, but your mention of downloading the June ISO causes me great confusion.

If it is an insatlled system, are you by chance using the /dev/sdXY notation in the syslinux.cfg?  This would explain why you are getting stuck boots sometimes, as there is no gaurantee which disk will be /dev/sda and which will be /dev/sdb.  You should use UUIDs or filesystem labels.

#3 2014-06-20 05:45:01

ini_universe

WonderWoofy wrote:

Are you talking about booting the ISO or an installed system.  It sounds like an installed system, but your mention of downloading the June ISO causes me great confusion.

If it is an insatlled system, are you by chance using the /dev/sdXY notation in the syslinux.cfg?  This would explain why you are getting stuck boots sometimes, as there is no gaurantee which disk will be /dev/sda and which will be /dev/sdb.  You should use UUIDs or filesystem labels.

I downloaded that iso and installed archlinux on my laptop,so it is an installed system.Installation was successful,syslinux installed and configured following https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syslinux .I only have one physical disk,so /dev/sdXY should not be a problem.I reboot my laptop many times for configuring /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg(like menu,color and some other adjustments),and I never saw the system stucking there until I've inserted that USB stick yesterday.

Last edited by ini_universe (2014-06-20 05:45:39)

#4 2014-06-20 06:58:37

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

So, the only time you have had a problem booting is when there is a second drive? Perhaps you should re-read Woofy's post (the hound isn't called Wonder for nothing)...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2014-06-20 07:12:05

ini_universe

jasonwryan wrote:

So, the only time you have had a problem booting is when there is a second drive? Perhaps you should re-read Woofy's post (the hound isn't called Wonder for nothing)...

No,that is the first time,not the only time.It happens even there is no second drive.

#6 2014-06-20 07:14:14

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Well, it can't hurt, right? And it is good practice anyway. And you have aksed for help here, so it might be polite, if nothing else, to--you know--try it before dismissing it...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2014-06-20 08:50:44

ini_universe

First,thanks for WonderWoofy's solution,persistent block device naming is definitely useful if I have multiple disk controllers.Second,I'm not dismissing anything,just want to make clear of my problem.I'll try UUID later.Third,if /dev/sdXY causes this problem even when there is only one disk drive,the syslinux wiki should be updated...

THX

Board footer