You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-28 19:12:02

phydeaux

Did linux fry my cd drive

This seems like a fairly newbie question so I'll post it here.

Some time in the last few weeks the cd drive in my laptop died.  I'm not quite sure of the causes but I was wondering if maybe a misconfiguration had lead to its demise.  The laptop is about 2 years old now so it could be the drive was just getting old, but I don't use it all that often so it wouldn't have been the first thing I'd excpect to go.  I had noticed that the light on the drive would flicker every soften and it would make noises as if it were trying to read a disk even though the drive was empty.  Lately the noises had become pretty bad. I had just assumed that something was checking the drive to see if anything was in it and ignored it.  I don't know what would be checking the drive though.  I don't run autofs and I'm not using gnome or kde which I believe have some mechanism for checking if a disk is inserted and mounting it.  It would do this rather frequently.  I'm wondering if this may have caused the problems with the drive or somebody could think of another possible cause and what I could do to prevent it from happening to the replacement.

andy

#2 2006-01-28 23:22:21

Cam
Website

Re: Did linux fry my cd drive

Most (if not all) automounters don't randomly check the drive to see if there is a disc there. They use HAL or something similar (autofs has a kernel module) that receives notifications directly from the hardware when the drive bay is opened/closed. When that happens, then it checks for a disc so that wouldn't be the cause of the problem.

Sorry I'm not more help with finding the cause but I figured it might help to clear that up. You don't have a CD track in your XMMS playlist that it could be looking for?

Board footer