You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-23 17:09:10

chikinn

[SOLVED] Almost-new battery occasionally fails to charge

Sometimes my three-month-old Vizio CT14-A4 fails to charge and misreports charge level.  Specifically, my adapter LED blinks, acpi gives

Battery 0: Unknown, 98%

and then the battery proceeds to last for, say, one hour when I expect four.  I know the battery isn't dying because usually it does hold and dispense a full charge (and it's quite new).  I haven't figured out how to reproduce the problem yet, but it's happened a few times this month.  Removing and putting back in the charger plug doesn't help.  My naive gut guess is the battery is somehow overcharging when the laptop spends too long plugged in.  I'm looking for a solution that does not involve removing the battery (which I haven't tried yet but will at next opportunity, for troubleshooting's sake).

Here's my current acpi -V, now that I've plugged in following a complete discharge and all is normal:

Battery 0: Charging, 58%, 00:53:40 until charged
Battery 0: design capacity 6970 mAh, last full capacity 6949 mAh = 99%
Adapter 0: on-line
Thermal 0: ok, 56.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 100.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 110.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 2 switches to mode active at temperature 60.0 degrees C
Cooling 0: x86_pkg_temp no state information available
Cooling 1: LCD 4 of 10
Cooling 2: Fan 1 of 1
Cooling 3: intel_powerclamp no state information available
Cooling 4: Processor 0 of 3
Cooling 5: Processor 0 of 3
Cooling 6: Processor 0 of 3
Cooling 7: Processor 0 of 3

For reference, this issue resembles old threads.  Any suggestions?

Edit: Looks like it was a battery problem, not a Linux problem.  When I called the manufacturer they immediately told me to hard-reset the battery with a paper clip, which worked (though I have to do it again every month or so).  Marking solved.

Last edited by chikinn (2015-05-25 17:16:06)

Board footer