You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-24 22:04:25

Reggie

Stuck booting to Grub

Hi all. I recently installed Arch to my Acer c720 Chromebook by following the Arch Beginner's Guide. After installing KDM and starting kdm.service my computer now gets stuck trying to boot using Grub, which is not installed (I've been using Syslinux). I still have the Arch ISO which I can use to access and mount partitions, but I'm not sure how to install Grub this way. Does anyone have any ideas? To give some more detail, my computer gets stuck specifically at this step, which arises after I choose my hard drive in Chromebook's SeaBIOS:

Booting from Hard Disk...
GRUB _

I should also note that I didn't use GPT to partition the hard disk because running efivar -l as directed in the Beginner's Guide did not list variables suggesting that I had booted in UEFI mode. However, there seems to be an EFI partition on my hard disk and Arch's /boot has an /efi directory in addition to the /syslinux directory. I'm wondering if I should have followed the install guide according to the directions for having a UEFI hard disk and if this may have caused problems.

Thanks!

EDIT: I figured out that I could use arch-chroot to install grub on the partition. So, that technically answers my question. However, Arch still won't boot. I decided to start over and make sure I was paying more attention to the UEFI v. MBR instructions. Things I've tried since then and outcomes they've had:

1. Setting everything up according to UEFI leads to an indefinite "Booting from Hard Disk..." when attempting to boot from SeaBIOS.
2. Deleting the EFI boot partition and setting it up as MBR reverts back to the original indefinite "Booting from Hard Disk... GRUB _" error.
3. I can get it to boot into Syslinux, but then it will not boot into Arch. I only have two partitions and I've tried booting into them both.

I know that Arch is installed because when I chroot into it from a boot stick everything works as expected.

Last edited by Reggie (2014-06-25 21:19:01)

#2 2014-06-25 20:14:49

Reggie

Re: Stuck booting to Grub

Hey mods, can we move this to the installation forum? Maybe I'll get some help there. Thanks.

#3 2014-06-25 21:21:34

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Stuck booting to Grub

Reggie wrote:

Hey mods, can we move this to the installation forum? Maybe I'll get some help there. Thanks.

Moved by request.  In the future, please use the report link.  The a moderator will see it sooner.  Your way meant one of us had to stumble upon this. Reports get our attention almost instantly

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer