You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-28 03:01:18

asdfghx

help with stand alone Open box Config?

hey guys! got through my first arch linux install after switching from archbang cause of the lack of support on the forums. plus i figured it was time to actually learn my system. but basically what i was going to ask is how i go about configuring Open Box to look and function the way it did on archbang? im able to log in through SLiM and everything, but all i can really do is use the terminal and go on the internet (which im still connecting to manually through the terminal first). everything else like the calculator or even the open box config manager gives me some error (should this be happening?).

anyways, im sure there is a lot more i need to do to get everything running correctly, but if i can be pointed in the right direction that'd be very helpful smile

oh and is there a reason i get the error about "failing to execute the log in command" from SLiM only when i try to long into root? but from my user account everything goes smoothly. im not sure if this is actually an issue since i can just "su" into root from my user acc anyways.

#2 2014-06-28 03:06:50

karol
Archivist

Re: help with stand alone Open box Config?

asdfghx wrote:

everything else like the calculator or even the open box config manager gives me some error (should this be happening?)

What error?

#3 2014-06-28 03:08:55

asdfghx

karol wrote:
asdfghx wrote:

everything else like the calculator or even the open box config manager gives me some error (should this be happening?)

What error?

"Failed to execute child process "gnome-calculator" (no such file or directory)" for the calc
but when i try to use the open box config manager it gives the same thing except it says im missing "opconf"

#4 2014-06-28 03:25:14

asdfghx

pretty sure this all has to deal with the fact that i never ran

$ mkdir -p ~/.config/openbox
$ cp -R /etc/xdg/openbox/* ~/.config/openbox

LOL, now im following the rest of the wiki. going to mess with a few things and hopefully come back to the thread with a configured openbox smile

EDIT: sorry for the double post too

Last edited by asdfghx (2014-06-28 03:25:37)

#5 2014-06-29 09:31:30

GSF1200S

You could literally copy the rc.xml file from ~/.config/openbox on your Archbang install over to your Arch install and use that (since it only configures openbox- dont do this with any system files unless you really know what youre doing). However, you would likely need to heavily modify it in accordance with what applications you install.

If you get an error "No such file or directory" when attempting to launch an application from a terminal, that means the executable isnt located in /usr/bin (or any other location in your PATH)... which means you probably didnt install it yet smile

Unlike Archbang, Arch comes with nothing. You decide everything you want on the system, and you set it up yourself. In accordance with The Arch Way, you should then theoretically have a system where you know whats on it, and how its configured (since you did the configuration yourself).

#6 2014-06-29 14:07:01

jv2112

I would suggest following the wiki step by step if you want to learn. However if you want a quick shortcut. Install Archbang and then switch the repo's to arch then update. I have done for quick installs on my kids machine and no issues. The step by step along with mistakes will teach  you much morre though.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome. Isaac Asimov - / -

#7 2014-06-29 16:08:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

asdfghx wrote:

"Failed to execute child process "gnome-calculator" (no such file or directory)" for the calc
but when i try to use the open box config manager it gives the same thing except it says im missing "opconf"

I gather you haven't installed gnome-calculator or obconf.

In arch you chose what to install - nothing comes preinstalled.  If you just installed slim and openbox, then these other programs have not been installed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2014-06-29 21:23:21

asdfghx

GSF1200S wrote:

You could literally copy the rc.xml file from ~/.config/openbox on your Archbang install over to your Arch install and use that (since it only configures openbox- dont do this with any system files unless you really know what youre doing). However, you would likely need to heavily modify it in accordance with what applications you install.

If you get an error "No such file or directory" when attempting to launch an application from a terminal, that means the executable isnt located in /usr/bin (or any other location in your PATH)... which means you probably didnt install it yet smile

Unlike Archbang, Arch comes with nothing. You decide everything you want on the system, and you set it up yourself. In accordance with The Arch Way, you should then theoretically have a system where you know whats on it, and how its configured (since you did the configuration yourself).

ahaha now i wish i had my old config file! its okay though if i need to build it from scratch then thats what i'll do. i was just hoping there was some kind of "theme" or setting they used specifically that would make it all look normal again, but im starting to think that the settings im looking for are specific themes for each individual program.

jv2112 wrote:

I would suggest following the wiki step by step if you want to learn. However if you want a quick shortcut. Install Archbang and then switch the repo's to arch then update. I have done for quick installs on my kids machine and no issues. The step by step along with mistakes will teach  you much morre though.

mhmm, i've no problem looking over the wiki, i like learning and its been fun seeing the changes i make actually take effect. right now im just working towards making my openbox feel -complete- i guess. since i managed to get most of the day-to-day programs i use running. the main reason for my switch was because archbang's installer made it difficult for me to follow the wiki's steps on encrypting my HD, then the archbang forums werent really able to help me get around it.

Trilby wrote:
asdfghx wrote:

I gather you haven't installed gnome-calculator or obconf.

In arch you chose what to install - nothing comes preinstalled.  If you just installed slim and openbox, then these other programs have not been installed.

yes, you are definitely right. i was messing around with it more and saw that these were actually just programs i never downloaded, for some reason when i saw things like obconf missing i felt like i had made a bigger mistake than i actually did. but i dl'd those and have a working menu going now. the only real issue im finding is that it doesnt really "look" good for lack of a better word. everything looks really old, i liked how AB's setup looked, terminal was nice, system usage in the corner. but im sure these are probably just settings within openbox i need to fix

#9 2014-06-29 21:53:36

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No, these are other configs and programs.  openbox does not control what a terminal looks like - the terminal configuration does.  The system usage - if you're referring to what I think you are - was a conk display.  If you want that you need to install and configure conky.

You switched to archlinux so you could learn about and configure your own system.  The result of that is that you now need to learn about and configure your own system.

As has been said on these forums before, Archbang is not just archlinux plus openbox and slim.  There is a whole suit of programs and configurations that they ship with AB.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-06-29 21:54:29)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2014-06-30 00:10:54

MickeyRat

Your terminal looks old fashioned because you're probably using xterm.  I'm guessing you're used to gnome terminal.  You can install that but, really there are lighter weight alternatives that you'll probably like as well.  I run openbox on arch and I try to stay "relatively" light weight.

Panel - tint2-svn (aur)
terminal - lilyterm
editor - leafterm
compositor - compton (just a little eye candy)
calculator - galculator
file manager - PCManFM
Network - network manager
volume control - volumeicon

For a web browser I mostly use chromium with a bunch of extensions but. I still have firefox installed.  I wouldn't call either one lightweight though.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
- Oscar Wilde

#11 2014-06-30 02:09:14

fungle

Here is a list of packages/applications that come with archbang (albiet its a bit outdated). http://wiki.archbang.org/index.php?titl … ckage_List

Board footer