You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-29 23:07:29

libervisco
Website

Kate crashing

I have a pretty strange problem with my favourite text editor Kate.

When I open bigger files (like bigger than a few lines as it appears) with php (html) text highlighting enabled it just crashes then displaying that standard KDE crash message.

First I had a full testing installation when I first tried to open a php file with it right after it installed with the kdebase package, and it crashed. Then I thought since this is testing I might downgrade to current.
I then removed testing repo from pacman.conf and ran pacman -Syu which synced with only some basic packs like kernel and skipped the rest noting that I can manually downgrade rest by running pacman -S package.

That's what I then did for kdebase, kdelibs, arts and kde-common and tried opening the file with kate then. But it still crashed.

So right now I have a mixed current and stable installation with xorg7. The kernel is from current. Any chance this could be a xorg7 related problem?

If it is I am just wondering why is xorg7 released by x.org as stable if it still isn't?

Thanks for any help you can give. Besides standard font problems (which seem to be in a definition of "arch") this is the only thing that makes me consider dismissing arch and moving to another distro (like debian maybe). But it would be a pitty since I like the arch style, speed, pacman and bleeding edge (if it just wouldn't fall over the edge for that matter).

Thanks
Daniel

#2 2006-02-01 00:06:11

JGC
Developer

Re: Kate crashing

The reason is that you're using a fontconfig version which missed a patch. There have been two versions of fontconfig 2.3.2-3 floating around: one in current, which is fixed, and one in testing, which still contains a bug causing crashers in KDE. I removed the testing version and bumped the one in current to make sure everyone uses that one.

Board footer