You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-02 11:51:24

ThePeach
Website

Chrome/Chromium under Gnome3 do not shut down properly

Hi all, I've decided to move over to Gnome 3 on my company laptop as it's basically one of the few that supports hi-dpi.

Everything works fine and I kinda like the user experience provided (better than Cinnamon IMO, or at least more consistent).
The only problem I've got is that even if I close manually down Chrome/Chromium, every time I restart the laptop I get  the "Chrome didn't shut down properly" error message.
Not a big issue, but kinda annoying.

I was wondering if you think this might be worth to be reported upstream or what.
Or if you even had the same problem and there an actual solution (quick search on Google didn't bring up much, apart from a 2 years old thread in these forums).

Best,
ThePeach

Last edited by ThePeach (2014-07-02 11:53:12)

#2 2014-07-02 16:14:15

gnunn

Re: Chrome/Chromium under Gnome3 do not shut down properly

There is a setting called "Continue running background apps when Chromium is closed" in Chrome/Chromium, try disabling this to see if it fixes your problem.

It's under Settings | Show Advanced Settings under the System section

#3 2014-07-02 23:14:17

bulletmark

This is a bug that has existed with Chrome and Arch for about the last 3 months. Not sure if the bug is within Chrome or GNOME. I just press that Restore button every time but it is damn ugly.

PS Edit: I just remembered somebody, possibly on this forum, suggesting the problem was within systemd or gdm not waiting long enough for Chrome to shut down.

Last edited by bulletmark (2014-07-02 23:21:06)

#4 2014-07-03 02:02:45

Pse

bulletmark wrote:

This is a bug that has existed with Chrome and Arch for about the last 3 months. Not sure if the bug is within Chrome or GNOME. I just press that Restore button every time but it is damn ugly.

PS Edit: I just remembered somebody, possibly on this forum, suggesting the problem was within systemd or gdm not waiting long enough for Chrome to shut down.

I don't think that's the case here. The OP said he has the problem even when closing Chromium manually.

FWIW, I'm on Gnome 3 and I can confirm that closing the browser using Ctrl+Shift+Q works (i.e. no "restore" option afterwards, all tabs automatically restored) but shutting down Gnome without closing Chromium first causes the "restore" option to appear next time.

#5 2014-07-23 09:54:36

ThePeach
Website

@gnunn thanks a lot, that is actually what I was looking for. Temp fix anyway.

Pse wrote:
bulletmark wrote:

I don't think that's the case here. The OP said he has the problem even when closing Chromium manually.

FWIW, I'm on Gnome 3 and I can confirm that closing the browser using Ctrl+Shift+Q works (i.e. no "restore" option afterwards, all tabs automatically restored) but shutting down Gnome without closing Chromium first causes the "restore" option to appear next time.

Still, Gnome does not close it properly, although disabling the Chrome/ium background operations will fix the problem, it won't address the problem on its own.
I wonder if this is stuff that Gnome devels need to be aware of.

#6 2014-12-07 12:26:53

d3rdon

Well. The Problem still exists with Gnome 3.14 and even the latest Chrome beta. V.40.
So can somebody pinpoint the Chrome or Gnome devs to address it?

#7 2015-04-24 11:49:53

Fidelix

I still have this problem, but worse, the restore button does not work

#8 2015-04-25 16:59:10

Michael Catanzaro

Board footer