You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-05 02:04:28

biodroid

Installing from an Existing ISO Image

I would like to install and configure an Arch Linux system inside a virtual machine and then deploy that image to my laptop as a complete, working system. Is this at all possible? I saw things on the wiki about installing from an existing Linux installation that pointed suggestively in the direction I wanted to go, but it’s not clear to me whether this is doable or how to go about it.

Archiso allows one to create custom bootable media, sure, but, as I understand it, you have to know exactly which packages you want beforehand. You can’t run the system and tinker with it before deploying. Would it make sense to configure the system in a virtual machine and then use that VM’s package list and /etc directory with archiso to make the custom system?

#2 2014-07-05 08:57:18

qinohe

Re: Installing from an Existing ISO Image

Hi, welcome to Arch. Installing Arch from an existing installation means, if you have Ubuntu installed and want to install Arch from that installation.
If you want to use a VM as your host system, then you need to clone/image the system and restore that image to your host, you can use clonezilla for that.

I use archiso almost on a daily basis, it's very handy to try new things, e.g. a completely different setup from the one you have now. It's no problem to use the package list you made for archiso, for your future system.
I don't see a problem in which packages you should choose beforehand, this mostly is a evolving thing, at least that's how I see it. So, if you have a working archiso, you are adjusting the configs, try it, and add the diff's to your build files, build you ISO, again try, add diff's to build files etc. etc. etc. , you get the point? Happy arching;)

Board footer