You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-06 19:03:21

shaurz

[SOLVED - well sort of] Need help recovering a btrfs filesystem

My system powered off due to CPU overheating an now my root filesystem which uses btrfs is unmountable.

Things I've tried so far that haven't helped:

* btrfs-zero-log
* mount with recovery option
* btrfsck appears to complete successfully when using -s1 option (it segfaults otherwise)

As a last resort I'm trying to recover as many files as I can with btrfs restore. I'm using -i to ignore errors since I get a lot of "failed to inflate: -6" errors. I have used btrfs-find-root and used -t option in btrfs restore.

Unfortunately btrfs restore always segfaults before recovering all files.

The errors I got on mount are:

BTRFS: failed to read log tree
BTRFS: open_ctree failed

I've had this problem before some years ago when I first tried btrfs which made me go back to ext4. I thought I'd give it one last chance since some major distributions thought it stable enough to use as the default root filesystem. Seems like it's still a useless buggy piece of crap. I've never had this level of data loss with other filesystems. Even FAT32 was more reliable. Simpler is probably better when it comes to file systems... performance seems to come at a cost of reliability.

Last edited by shaurz (2014-07-06 21:03:31)

#2 2014-07-06 21:02:44

shaurz

Re: [SOLVED - well sort of] Need help recovering a btrfs filesystem

With some creative use of --path-regex I've managed to recover most of my files by avoiding the problem files that causes btrfs restore to crash. Not enough to make a bootable system again but at this stage I'm happy to reformat (with ext4 this time!) and rebuild the system from scratch again.

Board footer