You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-07 07:43:51

katweazle

Fresh install: GDM shows no sessions

Hi!

Coming from Gentoo, I did a fresh install of Arch yesterday which works quite well so far except one thing:

GDM won't let me log in :-)

To be more precise: When started, it shows nothing but the wallpaper and the top menubar but shows no session/user selection. Cursor works, it even (strangely enough) shows those upward pointing arrows you get like when the screen lock is active (you know, to indicate to "slide upwards" - nothing happens there though). startx as a user works just fine.

Log shows

Jul  6 19:45:05 localhost gnome-session[1221]: (gnome-shell:1251): Gjs-WARNING **: JS ERROR: Exception in callback for signal: startup-prepared: Gio.DBusError: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: No session available

/usr/share/xsessions has two .desktop files with OK read permissions. I tried explicitly setting the session directory in /etc/gdm/custom.conf which didn't work (then again, it doesn't care about my log directory entry). What else needs to be considered permissions-wise?

I googled my way up and down now, tried reinstalling gnome-session, polkit-gnome and even the more esoteric approaches found in the forum like making sure there's only UTF-8 locales.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Board footer