You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-11 15:55:22

glfharris

[SOLVED]Hanging after booting from installation media

Yesterday I booted from a rw-DVD got to the terminal and could execute commands, connect to the internet and use elink etc no problem. I didn't go through with installation as I wanted to read up more on partitioning my drives for dual booting before actually doing so.

Trying the same thing today, and it hangs soon after I boot, regardless of whether I do anything. Printing the following:

nouveau E[      DRM] failed to idle channel 0xcccc0000 [DRM]
pci_pm_runtime_suspend(): nouveau_pmops_runtime_suspend+0x0/0xf0 [nouveau] returns -16
INFO: rcu_preempt detected stalls on CPUs/tasks: { 6} (detected by 1, t=18002 jiffiess, g=974, c=973, q=604)

This is without me typing anything. If I try to execute a command quickly after booting it sometimes works, but after a couple of minutes it will complain of a soft lockup.

I've tried burning another disk, and using a USB installation media, but the same thing happens. Any thoughts?

Edit: Trying to run it on a laptop with i7-4700MQ, 16GB ram, and Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M

Second Edit: Booted with nomodeset, which worked and allowed me to install. Just trying to sort out the sodding boot loaders now...

Last edited by glfharris (2014-07-11 22:42:31)

Board footer