You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-14 03:34:12

Noneangel

Random freeze (about every 10 sec)

Hello,
after the last "yaourt -Syua" and reboot, my arch freeze every ten seconds for 2 to 5 seconds in graphic. I have checked with a video, it is the entire system that freeze (not just the input).
In tty2, I get the following message every 10 seconds :
Error installing CMOS-RTC region handler
This message event appears when I boot the system (some post in forums suggests that it is related to sleep mode).

Here is the log of Xorg :
http://pastebin.com/0L818hzu
the repetition of the messages at the end of the log correspond to the freezes.
And here is the result of the command journalctl -fb :
http://pastebin.com/GM3eUhAm

I don't know which package I have updated, neither how to come back to a previous version.

Thanks for your help.

#2 2014-07-14 10:36:38

rix

Re: Random freeze (about every 10 sec)

Noneangel wrote:

[...] I don't know which package I have updated, neither how to come back to a previous version. [...]

For this you'd check /var/log/pacman.log.

#3 2014-07-14 16:51:08

clfarron4
Website

Try downgrading your kernel until you stop having the Error installing CMOS-RTC region handler error message. I posted in this thread that I get it on every boot starting with the 3.15.3 kernel.

Last edited by clfarron4 (2014-07-14 16:51:23)

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#4 2014-07-16 18:33:01

Noneangel

I tried downgrading the package thanks to /var/log/pacman.log. I suspected my ati driver to be the source of the problem.
Unfortunately, during the downgrading process, Pacman told me that there were circular dependency.
It gave me headaches: some packages seemed to depend on themselves (I tried to do this at 2 am, that might not have helped).

So I erase my hard drive and reinstall arch. Being not experimented, I reinstalled it 10 times before getting a functional arch.
During this installation, I noticed that the Error installing CMOS-RTC region handler error message might or might not appear on the tty (on the live CD, which is 3.15.5 kernel).
Some of the installation froze, but not the last one (at last, after two days of struggle !).
Now, I still have the error message, but no more freeze.

@clfarron4 I saw your thread before posting, but by the time, I didn't know who to downgrade (I am still not sure I would be able to downgrade the kernel).
I tried to make a backup before reinstalling arch, but an error occurred on my hard drive (and was hidden by the Error installing CMOS-RTC region handler error message). So I no longer have the 3.15.2 kernel, and I have no idea where I could download it.
However, since I have a working arch, I will wait for the kernel to be fixed (I use my computer for work, and this problem took me too much time already).

Thank you for your help.

#5 2014-07-26 18:05:00

Noneangel

While I tried to debug other freeze (the system doesn't freeze out, so I guess it is unrelated), I notice the 10s freeze appear only when the xf86-video-ati package is installed.

Board footer