You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-15 17:21:18

ryanfahy314

[Solved] USB mouse and keyboard not responding

Hi, I booted up my arch install to find my mouse wasn't showing up on screen. I tried typing things but that didn't work either(in gnome display manager)

I figured it must be an issue with gdm itself, so I added 'init=/bin/bash' to syslinux

Then I got an error, but it booted into the shell just fine

bash: cannot set terminal proscess group (-1): Innappropriate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell
[root@(none) /]#

I then decided to try and type something, when I got the error "usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110"
and the error repeats every so often

I don't have a PS/2 keyboard anywhere, nor do I have a flash drive(in the process of moving they're in a box somewhere)

I think I'm going to boot into windows and resize the partition Arch is installed on, add a small partition, and install some other distro on it(only distro I can think of with a windows installer is ubuntu, unless I use unetbootin), then chroot into arch

I don't know where to go from there though, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by ryanfahy314 (2014-07-18 16:19:48)

#2 2014-07-18 09:09:55

sugartest

Re: [Solved] USB mouse and keyboard not responding

First of all DON'T chroot from a debian into arch, chroot won't work properly due to the way Debains handles chrooting .It is tedious to run 10 commands from a Shitian when only one is needed for Arch ain't it?

You're in a shell I see so big_smile :

# dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdx && sync

So you get an arch USB stick/CD/DVD. Enven if that's in a box, try asking your neighbour to lend you one for the afternoon wink

Boot the USB
Load the correct keymap:

# loadkeys <your_keymap>

Connect to wifi if needed

# wifi-menu

Create a chroot directory

# mkdir /mnt/chroot

Mount the partitions

# mount /dev/sdx /mnt/chroot

or other partitions you need like the system etc...
Chroot using Arch chroot utility.

# arch-chroot /mnt/chroot

You should probably take a look at the output of dmesg after pluging keyboards and mouse.

ryanfahy314 wrote:

bash: cannot set terminal proscess group (-1): Innappropriate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell

It seems there problem might be in the handling of input/output of your devices in which case I won't be able to help you with that specific problem.
Did you try with other peripherals ? Did you alter any files in GDM that might have caused you problem. Did you try booting using grub ? Did you try re-installing GDM/the whole desktop environment in case it would be a silly problem that could be fixed by re-installing ?

Last edited by sugartest (2014-07-18 09:17:17)

An Arch Linux enthousiast and a Linux fan in general, mostly interrested in command line use, security issues, code learning and networks.

#3 2014-07-18 16:19:17

ryanfahy314

Re: [Solved] USB mouse and keyboard not responding

I just wound up buying a PS/2 keyboard and restoring from a backup

It works now, but I guess I'll never know what caused the problem. Thanks anyway

Board footer