You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-18 06:19:44

Firephyz

[Solved]How can I create a bootable backup of my arch linux partition?

I'm trying to get my arch linux installation to have a gui, specifically KDE. I downloaded Xorg and the nvidia proprietary driver 340.24. After installing the nvidia driver and rebooting, my screen stays black and I can't see my console. I can still login and reboot but I just can't see my screen. I've also tried booting into the arch linux fallback listed in the grub bootloader but that also had a black screen. At this point, I just reinstalled Arch Linux since I didn't really have anything on it anyway but this time I hope not to run into this problem. I will try installing a different driver but if I do run into the same problem, I want to be able to just copy over a backup of my OS and just boot off of that instead of completely reinstalling the system. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I read up a bit on the dd command and learned that it can effectively copy an entire partition including the master boot record. Could this be the possible solution? I just wanted to post this edit here to make sure.

Last edited by Firephyz (2014-07-19 20:06:00)

#2 2014-07-18 06:25:31

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [Solved]How can I create a bootable backup of my arch linux partition?

The wiki has a page on this...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-07-18 10:19:18

Kartious

Backing up using dd

When you clone your entire disk the MBR will also be copied over. The wiki just states you can back up just the MBR itself if need be.

I strongly do not recommend just reinstalling your system in the future unless it's needed, you learn nothing from it and it can drive away other users from helping you. Especially if its just and issue to do with Xorg.

Last edited by Kartious (2014-07-18 10:20:23)

#4 2014-07-18 10:56:31

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Too complex.  Assuming you have a simple partition setup with the entire shooting match one one partition, then just rsync it over to a new one from a live cd and make an entry ink the bootloader.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer